Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

2 tier BrewStand

I’m making a single stand now (metal fab/welding practice) but planning a future 2 tier batch sparge stand. I’m not looking to get to expensive and with this stand I would have 1 burner, and a spot to slide/swap HLT & BrewKettle.

The top stand(converted cooler go here) would pivot to fold down and not stick out in the way when being stored. I didn’t label it but there would be a pivot point at the bottom of the angled support to allow that support to come down.

I didn’t finish the bottom with much detail, I was thinking a shelf. I don’t think I would need a pump with this setup, I should be able to do the pitcher and dump method for the water then everything else would be gravity.

With this I was hoping to upgrade in the future with a counterflow chiller and when I get tired of lifting some kind of lift/crane setup.
And thinking of it now, the pivot point idea could double as a spent grain dump if I mount the cooler.

What are your thoughts???

Some other notes: Burner is a 23 jet NG, and I will put plywood on top for the cooler. I already stubbed out the gas supply line to the outside of my home, complete with shutoff both inside and out then followed by quick connect w/auto shut for a gas grill (redundant safety).

I like the design but I’d be kind of leery of the mash tun being cantilevered,I’d be afraid of it tipping although if you’re only going to do 5 gallon batch it would probably be okay. I plan to make a similar stand this winter but it will be built for a capacity of up to 20 gallon batches, something similar to this sans the top burner:

I plan to put the HLT underneath the mash tun, pump the strike water to the mash tun, gravity flow to the boiler and gravity flow from the boiler to the fermenters. My other thought is to make the stand lower so I wouldn’t need a stand to mash in and pump from the boiler to the fermenters.

+1. My first thought was that concern. Also, how are you holding it up there without the kind of additional bars & other structure that’s present on the lower tier?

+1. My first thought was that concern. Also, how are you holding it up there without the kind of additional bars & other structure that’s present on the lower tier?[/quote]
+1 here too.
5 gal of water is ~40 lbs. Extra water, grains, cooler you could be pushing 100 lbs up there. you’d need more weight than that on the brewing side to prevent tipping. I wouldn’t fear tipping, I’d count on it.
Maybe if you added a second shelf of the same design only upside-down; a shelf that folded from the side down to ground level; it would provide a stable base when brewing, give you a safe place to sit the propane tank, and not take up any more room when folded. The angled supports going up from the ground shelf would prevent the rig from collapsing and as a bonus, protect the tank from accidental kicks.

Good point, I didn’t think the weight would be that much. I will add some legs to the Mash side. I still want this end to fold down so I will need legs that can swing up. To avoid a two piece leg I’m thinking they would be attached to the outside of the frame and swing up as the stand swings down, then some kind of simple latch to keep them up during transportation, so they don’t fall down on my head as I move the thing.

Also note that I will not need a propane tank, it will be natural gas(NG) setup.

Thank you for noticing a design flaw, it looked good on paper. That’s why I posted my drawing to find out any issues before I start anything.

[quote=“JMcK”]
Maybe if you added a second shelf of the same design only upside-down; a shelf that folded from the side down to ground level; it would provide a stable base when brewing, give you a safe place to sit the propane tank, and not take up any more room when folded. The angled supports going up from the ground shelf would prevent the rig from collapsing and as a bonus, protect the tank from accidental kicks.[/quote]

I thought about having a shelf or maybe just a leg fold down but I didn’t want to bring up stress on the design, I’m planning on using only 1" square tube.

OK,

After playing around with the design I’m thinking of changing things around a bit. It will make the stand more complex but it will fold up a bit.

With the legs pivoting up as the mash stand folds down it increases the overall height to about 81" folded. This makes it too tall, but keeps the smaller foot print. I’m going to make it fold up in a way that doesn’t make it too tall.

I will post pictures of the revision when I’m done.

Thanks.

After playing around with it a bit I don’t think I’ll be able to construct the stand with this many pivot points and pins holding it together, it will take to much hassle to setup. I’m thinking of going back to the first setup with the angle bracket but with a triangle bracket that folds out at the bottom to offset tipping over. No shelf because it will be to low to be useful. This way it will fold up the way I planned on in the first place and it wont be so complicated.

Once I make some changes I’ll post a picture.

Here is my update.

What are your thoughts?

One other thing, I didn’t change the main upright to a larger size tubing. I got lazy, I will during construction of this stand upgrade it to a 1"X 2" tube to better cope with the cantilevered weight. The lower triangle shape will be pined on the top and pivot on the bottom, I think this will be enough to keep things stable during brewing.

Another option would be to have removable legs under the MT that could quickly be installed.

Where will the diagonal support bars fold into?

Based on your numbers, those bars will be about 30 inches long. Which is longer than the height of the platform or the length of the platform.

Will they detach and slide in?

This was my first thought as well. Two legs (with or without feet) that pin in under the mash tun when in use but you can just detach and lay across the top or set to the side when the whole thing is stored. You could still make the mash tun shelf fold down and not have to worry about the legs folding in the middle with hinges or folding up and creating too much height.

Maybe use this as inspiration?

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/rba5_foldi ... burner.htm

That looks like what I was thinking, although now I’m not sure where everything goes when it’s collapsed. Do the angle supports come off or some how ride along?

stompwampa, I was planning on the bottom swinging up onto the bottom shelf then the upper support folding or swinging down with the MT platform swinging down over that, I know things will bind and it will not lay completely flat. I most likely will weld on gussets or tabs to hinge on to hold hinge points out or in to make everything fold up better.

Everything will stay attached and have a pivot point or hinge of some kind. I don’t plan on having things removable, I don’t want lose parts.

I think I see it now. If the angle supports unhook from the main frame, and stay attached to the MT platform and anti-tip support, then from the lengths it looks like when folded the angle supports could just “flop around” in the space where the shelf is, and may not bind at all.

If I could suggest, lose the legs on the anti-tip support; rig it so it just sits at an obtuse angle when brewing. When folded, those legs would stick straight out the side, which will add 2-3 inches to the folded width unnecessarily, and just invite people to smash their thighs. It will mean less welding too. Maybe add some attachment points for the folded position to the shelf beneath the burner. The angle supports will then act to keep the rig folded, and give you a place to store the support’s pins. Maybe just for the anti-tip which will want to flop out when transporting the rig.

Ok a little off topic but here is my test rig… a single tier stand/burner. I’m thinking when I go to the two tier I will just build this into it as the burner portion. Metal is awesome like that, you don’t have to worry about but joints, as long as the welds are strong.

I just finished this today, didn’t clean it up and I plan on painting it with some rustoleum high temp paint(black). Again my attempt to fabricate, and completely weld a usable structure… I am a carpenter by trade.

Let me know what you think.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/998068_645804622098303_1296083554_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1186036_645804625431636_259811657_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1150424_645804602098305_1137310182_n.jpg

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com