2 ounces at a time

Someone stop me from sampling my first kegged beer before it’s carbonated! It’s way too easy to pour a couple of ounces and sample. Kegged and put it on the gas 4 days ago. Tasted after 1 and 2 days and while it did have some fizz, it was minimal. I know it takes longer, but when should I sample it next? Using the slow and steady method, ~12 PSI @ 40 degrees. Also, it’s a 3-gallon keg with probably a little less than 3 gallons of beer. Does 3 gallons carbonate faster than 5, or does that not matter? Would a week be long enough? It’s an IPA, primary was 2 weeks and dry-hopped in secondary for 10 days.

Taking a few samples here and there is good to increase the head space in the keg, thereby making it carb faster. While it varies somewhat, I find that most beers taste best after they have been in the keg for 3 weeks. YMMV.

When I did the slow and steady it would take a least two weeks to be properly carbed. Not to say it won’t be partially carbed after a week. Speed up your process. I racked a Belgian IPA to a keg on Wednesday night. By Saturday night it was good to go.

Start at 30psi for 24hrs. Dial back to 20psi for 24hrs. Dial back to 10-15psi and start tasting periodically. When it’s good, adjust to serving pressure. I’ve been doing this for a while now and haven’t been disappointed yet.

EDIT: I do agree with Muller though. A few weeks in the keg and the beer will really begin to shine.

Thanks. Curious, how do breweries/brewpubs turn around a beer so quickly if it takes weeks to carb? I was under the impression kegged beer would carb a lot faster than bottle-conditioned beer.

They push c02 through air stones dropped to the bottoms of their bright tanks. Carbs in hours most likely

I think this is the case, whether it’s carbed or not. Even in the keg, age does good things for the flavor of beer. I kegged a porter in November, and it’s still getting better.

But don’t let that stop you taking a sample every few days if you want to! From a practical perspective, it may help you better understand how the process works. Besides, at your brewer, you’re the boss!

+1…keep tasting those samples, in the name of …science! I do agree that 2-3 weeks is the time frame when most of my beers are properly carbonated and really starting to taste like a finished product.

I cold crash for 24-48 hours in the carboy then ill put it in a keg set the psi to 40 for 24 hours turn it down to serving pressure for me thats around 8 psi sample the beer then turn it up to 30psi for another 24 hours after that turn it down to serving pressure then drink it. I have done this for the last 10-15 kegs that I have done and I haven’t had a over pressurized keg problem.

I can attest to to the “air stones” (diffuser stone, .5 micron). I kegged today (5 gallons) at 12psi and 4 hours later it is carbed, not fully but it does keep a nice 1/4" - 3/8" head throughout the drink. Best 13 dollars I’ve spent!