2 newbie yeast ?'s

I am relatively new to brewing. many moons ago I used a Mr beer kit and was happy with the outcome, but the fermenter broke and that was it.

Until now. I bought one of Northern’s 1 gal kits. I made the Irish red ale, and I’m happy with the results.

My main 2 questions are.

1. Why in the 1 gal kit do I only pitch half of the yeast packet?

and

1. I got the Northern yeast starter kit as a gift and would like to know if it would be worth making a yeast starter for a 1 gal batch?

[quote=“Herphandler”]I am relatively new to brewing. many moons ago I used a Mr beer kit and was happy with the outcome, but the fermenter broke and that was it.

Until now. I bought one of Northern’s 1 gal kits. I made the Irish red ale, and I’m happy with the results.

My main 2 questions are.

and

1. I got the Northern yeast starter kit as a gift and would like to know if it would be worth making a yeast starter for a 1 gal batch?[/quote]

Answers:

1. Because generally the yeast packets are enough for 5 gallons. I assume you are talking about dry yeast. In reality, with dry yeast you probably only needed 1/5th of the yeast unless it was one of the small packs

2. If you are using dry yeast, you do not want to make a starter. Many people say it is actually counter productive for dry yeast.

Bottom line, with a 1 gallon batch, there is really never a need for a starter. But do yourself a favor and move up to 5 gallon batches as soon as you are comfortable. I also make 1 gallon batches, but they are called Starters for Lagers which need a ton of yeast. The one gallon process is really awkward and is a lot of work for less than two six packs of beer. For a little more work, you get 5 gallons.

[quote=“Herphandler”]I am relatively new to brewing. many moons ago I used a Mr beer kit and was happy with the outcome, but the fermenter broke and that was it.

My main 2 questions are.

and

1. I got the Northern yeast starter kit as a gift and would like to know if it would be worth making a yeast starter for a 1 gal batch?[/quote]
    I think you have the BUG. Brew bug that is. Do yourself a solid and buy a 5 gal. set up. You can make 2 or 3 Gal. if you want or a full 5 when your ready.