2 Liter Growler - Romantic handle - BUNG SIZE

I thought I could get close by measuring then I find 1,489 bungs for sell here in every size under the moon. :lol:

What bung size fits this growler?

out of curiosity - why do you need one? The swing top seals it.

do you have a local brew ship nearby? you may be best off just driving in and trying various ones in person if nobody knows the proper size on here

just a thought

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/univ ... ttles.html

I have a 2 L growler and that fits in mine^ Not sure why you need it but its also available undrilled

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/univ ... solid.html

[quote=“fullhousebrew”]out of curiosity - why do you need one? The swing top seals it.

do you have a local brew ship nearby? you may be best off just driving in and trying various ones in person if nobody knows the proper size on here

just a thought[/quote]

Slip an air lock for 2 ltr starters… :?

My sister gave me 5 “five” of these and they’re collecting dust. I’ve stepped up to being a better brewer and not just pitching a crap load of yeast from a previous cake stored and making starters. I’d like to get these into the mix with 2 ltr starters as I brew 10 gal batches all grain. I would like an airlock in a stopper/ bung and if anyone does this, which I can’t imagine who wouldn’t if you need 2l starters and own them, what they use as a plug.
Thanks for the replies. I have no brew “ships” locally. Sorry. :oops:

I think most people just put loose foil over the top of their starters, so that there is some fresh oxygen coming in for the growing wort. Skip the bungs.

2nd time tonight I’ve thought outside my box. ALWAYS have used plugs… hard to change old spots.

measure it. then compare the measurement with the measurement of the bungs on this site. if you’re unsure, buy a couple, bungs are cheap

I’m not the most experienced with starters (althought I did make my own stir plate that I am kind of proud of…) but I thought as well you were supposed to leave it a bit open. tin foil or a squishy sponge thing soaked maybe in star san.

I’ve always treated like a mini brew and use an airlock. But again, I’ve just started using starters. I’ll read up on the fresh air thing. I can understand that the need for no O2 getting to the wort is mute being this isn’t going to beer beer.

Yeast need oxygen during their initial growth and reproduction phase. Once that’s gone they shift to anaerobic fermentation and start making alcohol. You’re not making alcohol in your starter, you’re making yeast. So the more oxygen the better (to a point, I’m sure).