2 gallon all grain

HI all just singed up here yesterday. looks like a pretty go forum. I’m doing a two gallon batch this morning on the stove and was wondering if anyone ever used a 2 kettle system to mash in. Here’s what I’m talking about. one 4 gal pot with 1.5 gal water and one 3 gal pot with the mash in it. the 3 gal mash pot sits inside the 4 gal that has 1.5 gal water at about 158 temp. I’m thinking this will make for less heat loss during the mash. what I’ve noticed is the mash temp in the middle of the mash pot is about 5 degrees lower then the outer edge of the mash pot. will a varying mash temp, between 148 and 157 sill give me a good mash or am I messing up.

You’re talking about a hot water bath. Nice idea. I brew 1.7-gallon batches almost exclusively now but I’ve never tried that. I usually just start the mash out slightly high around 154 F then allow it to fall to around 146 F, for an average mash temperature of 150 F which is exactly what I want. Or since it’s stovetop I can always add heat very easily if desired. No rocket science used here and the beer turns out great. But I can see the advantages if your method helps to hold heat in and keep your mash temperature much more stable.

A 3 gallon water cooler should hold your grain. Make it up like a larger cooler “ala Denny Cheap and easy”. You might find them on close out at this time of year.

http://www.rei.com/product/848401/rubbe ... 48313720|&

Double check the size with the “can I mash this” calculator.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

When I brewed small batches, I put the pot in the oven set at the lowest setting. The mash temp remained constant. Most ovens have a low temperature around 170, if you are worried about it being too hot, just turn off the oven when it comes up to heat.

This is essentially the method I used before I got a cooler. Heated my sauna to about 150-160, then stuck the mash there in a bottling bucket. It actually held temperature better than it does now when I use a cooler, but I could get pretty sweaty if I had to spend any time working on the mash.

This is essentially the method I used before I got a cooler. Heated my sauna to about 150-160, then stuck the mash there in a bottling bucket. It actually held temperature better than it does now when I use a cooler, but I could get pretty sweaty if I had to spend any time working on the mash.[/quote]
Wow, that would be unbearable, I would think.

I’ve never thought of the hot water bath thing, sounds almost like steam jacketing the mashtun. You could keep some water very hot on the bottom and let the steam keep the mash temp stable. Might work. Be better than direct firing the mashtun, which, if done improperly, will denature enzymes and you’ll end up with all your beers stopping short at 1.020…cough, happened to me several times before I figured it out, cough Duh.

oh and I forgot to mention that the water in the bath or 4 gal pot can be used to Sprague with also. two birds one stone. I love it.

Exactly, get two birds stoned at once.

No, not so bad. Normal sauna temperature is between 175 and 200, so it is something you get use to. Of course, you aren’t usually fully clothed and try to work in that heat.

OP: great idea for very small batches.

here’s my approach to small batch AG brewing.

Since you have two pots, like I do now, you may find it useful too.

cheers.