2 batches in one day!

I brewed a lot and then took a 6 year break because of some family medical issues. One day while eating breakfast I decided to start brewing again. I brewed an IPA that day and a honey porter between then and now. For some reason I got the idea on Tuesday I should brew two batches of beer tomorrow. I am an extract brewer. I will be brewing a maple syrup ale and what is called Brushfire Smoked Brown Ale. I have prepped everything for tomorrow and am really excited. I might even get to see some snowflakes while brewing. We need some more snow so I can stick my pre-chiller in a snowbank instead of an ice filled cooler. :cheers:

Brewing two batches in one day is an efficient use of time; I’ll typically brew two batches per brew day - and I brew AG. If one of the beers has a complex mash or a long boil, I’ll schedule that one first. Once I’ve finished the sparge on it, I’ll clean out the mash tun and start the second mash while the first is boiling. By the time I’ve emptied the kettle, it is time to sparge the second beer. In the end, it only takes me about 1.5 hours longer to do two batches than it does one.

I did that with an all grain and a free extract kit I scored from NB one day. All of your equipment is out and needs to be cleaned after so why not.

I agree about doing two batches in one day. Sometimes I brew two 22 gallon batches back to back and it takes about 10-11 hours. If that seems crazy, my buddy brews three 20 gallon batches back to back. That is nuts and he does it all while entertaining a bunch of people.

[quote=“MullerBrau”]I agree about doing two batches in one day. Sometimes I brew two 22 gallon batches back to back and it takes about 10-11 hours. If that seems crazy, my buddy brews three 20 gallon batches back to back. That is nuts and he does it all while entertaining a bunch of people.[/quote]Wow three 20 gallon. Thought I was bad ass. I’m whipped after a single 25 and clean up. The extract kit worked great because instead of water I used the second runnings from the AG batch. Boosted the Peace Coffee Stout’s gravity a bunch.

Did you make your freebie PCS Greg? I just tapped mine a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was a little astringent.

[quote=“HD4Mark”][quote=“MullerBrau”]I agree about doing two batches in one day. Sometimes I brew two 22 gallon batches back to back and it takes about 10-11 hours. If that seems crazy, my buddy brews three 20 gallon batches back to back. That is nuts and he does it all while entertaining a bunch of people.[/quote]Wow three 20 gallon. Thought I was bad ass. I’m whipped after a single 25 and clean up. The extract kit worked great because instead of water I used the second runnings from the AG batch. Boosted the Peace Coffee Stout’s gravity a bunch.

Did you make your freebie PCS Greg? I just tapped mine a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was a little astringent.[/quote]Yes, Mark, I brewed my PCS on 10/9 and it is really good with no astrigincy. People won’t drink much more than one though for fear of the coffee messing with their sleeping, myself included. I guess I need to start drinking during the day because I have 19 gallons of a Founder’s KBS clone conditioning at 12.3% abv. :cheers:

Same here. While one chills the other boils. I do a big mash and split it into two pots. I have enough pots and burners but only one chiller so I boil one after the other. It only adds about an hr to my brew day but get two fetmenters filled.