Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

2 1/2 gallon batch question

I’ve been brewing 5 gallon batches for the last 4 years. I’m really interested in brewing 2 1/2 gallon batches so I can brew more often.

Is it as easy as cutting grain bill and hops in half? What about boil volume, and boil time?

I brewed my first 2.75 gallon batch last weekend… I am going to do another next weekend. I did BIAB on the stove and am messing with a few recipes. I don’t want 5 gallons of something that does not turn out well (even though I am hopeful it will). It was kind of fun to be inside and back on the stove. The weather here is very cold right now and I don’t have a garage. You can just cut the recipe in half or use the scale function in most brewing software. I use BrewTarget (free and open source) and it will scale everything for you.

[quote=“Ray.Ramirez”]I’ve been brewing 5 gallon batches for the last 4 years. I’m really interested in brewing 2 1/2 gallon batches so I can brew more often.

Is it as easy as cutting grain bill and hops in half? What about boil volume, and boil time?[/quote]

Yes, cut every thing in half except boil time and hop addition times. i routinely do “half” batches and use approx 1.8qts/lb. Most of the brews i do have about 5lbs grain in a half batch so that would out to about 9qts mash. I sparge with 9qts too and get about 15qts pre boil. After two years of this, I find that if I start with 14-15 qts, I end with 10-11qts post-boil…on the stove in the house.

cheers.

Thanks for the information everyone. Extremely useful stuff. I’m stoked about brewing tons more this year.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com