Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

1st wort hopping

I’m going to be brewing an IPA soon and have been hearing a lot about 1st wort hopping. Anyone used this technique? Do you use it in place of the 60min addition? Thanks

I have done this a couple of times. Got a lot of input from Denny about it. He seems to like the technique.

You would tend to use the addition in place of the flavor addition (ie, if you add 1 oz at 15min - this amount is what you would FWH and skip the 15).

This process would yield bitterness, however, so your 60 min would have to be adjusted down. I don’t know the specifics off hand, since I have let beer smith take care of the bittering calculations for me.

I FWH well over half the beers I make and have done it hundreds of times. I consider it mainly for flavor and consider the bitterness addition secondary. I typically decide on how much hop flavor I want and use 1-2 oz. of FWH to get that. I consider the bitterness added to be the same as a 20 min. addition. After seeing how many IBU I get from FwH calculated like that, I add enough more hops at 60 to get to the overall IBU I’m aiming for.

Interesting. I was under the impression it would add more bitterness than the 20 min - I think beersmith calculates it as such - I’ll have to double check on that.

On the other had, the idea of a “smoother” bitterness (that has been mentioned by a lot of people) would probably support your assumption.

Interesting. I was under the impression it would add more bitterness than the 20 min - I think beersmith calculates it as such - I’ll have to double check on that.

On the other had, the idea of a “smoother” bitterness (that has been mentioned by a lot of people) would probably support your assumption.[/quote]

In an experiment I did, I had beers with a 60 min. addition and the same amount as FWH analyzed by 2 different labs. They found that the FWH beer measured about 10% more IBU. But because of the Quality of bitterness, most tasters in a blind triangle tasting found the FWH beers to taste less bitter. I drink my beers, not measure them so I use the reduced figure.

One last thing…as great as Beersmith is, it’s still a tool to help you brew. Don’t let it tell you how to brew.

Fair enough points Denny. As I said, I have only used the technique a couple of times, so I really don’t have a lot to judge it against.

And as you stated about the quality of the bitterness, I did actually bitter to a higher level than I usually like, and found the beers very easy to drink - so your perpective on the matter seems reasonable.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]Fair enough points Denny. As I said, I have only used the technique a couple of times, so I really don’t have a lot to judge it against.

And as you stated about the quality of the bitterness, I did actually bitter to a higher level than I usually like, and found the beers very easy to drink - so your perpective on the matter seems reasonable.[/quote]

I’ve brewed a total of 451 batches now and well over 200 have been FWH. I even use it for Belgian and German styles. Some may not agree with my experience, but I’ve done it enough to form some pretty definite opinions.

I’ve made a couple of batches now with hops in the mash tun, in addition to doing FWH, and I’ve been quite pleased with the overall hop character of those beers. There are plenty of people who will tell that mash hopping and FWH are a waste of good hops, but my experience tells me otherwise.

Thanks, I guess I will move my 20 min addition to the fwh and cut back on the 60min. ?

[quote=“Denny”]
In an experiment I did, I had beers with a 0 min, addition and the same amount as FWH analyzed by 2 different labs. They found that the FWH beer measured about 10% more IBU. But because of the Quality of bitterness, most tasters in a blind triangle tasting found the FWH beers to taste less bitter. I drink my beers, not measure them so I use the reduced figure.

One last thing…as great as Beersmith is, it’s still a tool to help you brew. Don’t let it tell you how to brew.[/quote]

I’m assuming you meant 60 min, not 0 min. Right?

I’ve done mash hopping several times. I found no point in it…it did nothing for the beer. Try an experiment and blind tasting and you might find the same.

[quote=“El Capitan”][quote=“Denny”]
In an experiment I did, I had beers with a 0 min, addition and the same amount as FWH analyzed by 2 different labs. They found that the FWH beer measured about 10% more IBU. But because of the Quality of bitterness, most tasters in a blind triangle tasting found the FWH beers to taste less bitter. I drink my beers, not measure them so I use the reduced figure.

One last thing…as great as Beersmith is, it’s still a tool to help you brew. Don’t let it tell you how to brew.[/quote]

I’m assuming you meant 60 min, not 0 min. Right?[/quote]

Yep. I hope I corrected that!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com