1st wort hopping.

I’ve started to hear more and more about this, but don’t know much about it. i understand the process in terms of times and steps, but what does it do? it’s supposed to emphasize the hops’ flavor right? But not add bitterness? Has anyone tried it? what were the results? were you happy? how was the flavor? bitterness? Sorry, that’s a lot of questions. Any answers/ opinions are appreciated!

Flavor and smooth(er) bitterness are the results. Actual IBUs are a little greater than what you would get with a 60-minute addition, but the steeping acts to bind the bittering compounds a little differently and the resulting IBUs are perceived as being lower than a 60-min addition, closer to a 20-min. I personally like the result, especially when used with large late additions - you get a nicely bittered, very aromatic and flavorful beer.

Pretty much says it all! Some people use FWH to replace the bittering addition, but I use it only for flavor and still do a 60 min, bittering addition.

I would pretty much echo the above comments. I think it really adds an extra flavor dimension that you don’t necessarily get from a late addition alone. Right now my hoppy beers are typically 0.8-1.25 BU:GU with 25% of the IBU’s coming from FWH, 25% as a 60-minute bittering addition and 50% coming from 30-minutes or less. For beers that I want less or smoother bitterness, I will skip the 60-minute addition. With few exceptions, I FWH almost all my beers right now.

Wow I haven’t heard of it replacing the 60 minute addition. I always operated that hop FLAVOR-wise, FWH behaved more and more like a 20 minute addition.

[quote=“Pietro”]Wow I haven’t heard of it replacing the 60 minute addition.[/quote]Makes a great APA this way - you can keep the perception of IBUs low while boosting the flavor/aroma and the FWH IBUs stick around like those from a 60-min addition so you get the kick at the end (which is hard to achieve with all late additions).

For my tastes, I’ve found an all FWH (or all late hopped for that matter) beer to be lacking in the hop “slap” I want from an APA/AIPA.

[quote=“Denny”]For my tastes, I’ve found an all FWH (or all late hopped for that matter) beer to be lacking in the hop “slap” I want from an APA/AIPA.[/quote]Sorry, wasn’t clear, meant FWH + late additions for an APA where the total IBUs are around 40 calculated with the FWH at 20 minutes but the actual IBUs are closer to 60. I do need a 60-min addition for IPAs or they just don’t burn quite right.

Agreed. I’ve been doing a lot of brews lately where I’ve been hopping up a style that isn’t usually hoppy. This is where I use FWH + late hops to get a lot of hop flavor and aroma but only a moderate amount of bitterness. Hoppy styles (APA, IPA, Alt) will get a 60-minute addition for some bite, even if I’m going big on the aroma hops.