1st timer Using a turkey Fryer for a boil set-up

When I started brewing, I had a Turkey fryer that was used for a Turkey Fryer. I thought that it would make an excellant set-up for boiling the brew however; I was told or read somewhere that It was best not to use aluminum for doing the boiling as it would give your beers an off taste.

I don’t know if that is true or not, but I didn’t want to take the chance. My aluminum kettle is still sitting in the box. For a little bit of money, I went to the local hardware store and got myself a stainless steel 5 gallon brew pot.

“Never argue with a fool in a crowd cause after about 2 minutes, the crowd can’t remember who the original fool was.”

I believe the off flavor given is from not seasoning the pan properly, upon boiling water in the pot it discolored an created a protective layer on the surface, similar to how the yeast on an ale protects your beer in an open fermenter…

I have read that same info on Aluminum. I’m looking at 10 or more gallons when we get a stainless also plan to go Stainless Fermenter when we upgrade from carboys.

http://www.howtobrew.com/equipment.html

[quote=“kh54s10”]I’ve seen that turkey fryer at Bass Pro Shop get pretty good reviews.

I have a Brinkman turkey fryer from Home Depot. It has some kind to temperature switch but no timer. My understanding is the switch is looking for too hot a temperature. There is no problem there since boiling water is 212 degrees and frying oil is what? 400 degrees?

I use Better Bottles. They are very strong so no worries there at all. They are very easy to clean using oxyclean and a rag. I would never consider glass after using the Better Bottle. It is WAY lighter and you don’t have to worry about a trip to the ER.[/quote]

Do you like the Brinkman burner from Home Depot? I’m assuming it’s this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053

I was thinking of picking this up. Only $40! I’m just wondering how well it works bringing 5-6gallons of wort to a boil. Any input is greatly appreciated. Sorry to highjack.