Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

1st time brew

Hello,
This is my first time brewing. I purchased the 1 gallon homebrew kit, American wheat. I read over the instructions. On the instruction sheet there are 10 steps. 1st step says to boil 1.25g of water then step 2 says after it is boiling we now have wort. Step 1 didn’t have me add anything…am I missing something? help please.

Thanks,
Mark

Wow, Northern Brewer missed a step. Between steps 1 and 2 there should be a paragraph saying:

Steep grains in the mesh bag. Just think of this as making tea with barley malt-steep for
approximately 10 minutes as the water heats, then remove the grain and discard. These grains will add desired color, flavor, aroma, and body to our finished beer.

I just looked it up on there site and they sure did leave that out. Click on a different recipe and click on additional information and you can select and view instructions in PDF format.
I used Caribou Slobber to find the above information.

[quote=“tiltrotor22”]Wow, Northern Brewer missed a step. Between steps 1 and 2 there should be a paragraph saying:

Steep grains in the mesh bag. Just think of this as making tea with barley malt-steep for
approximately 10 minutes as the water heats, then remove the grain and discard. These grains will add desired color, flavor, aroma, and body to our finished beer.

I just looked it up on there site and they sure did leave that out. Click on a different recipe and click on additional information and you can select and view instructions in PDF format.
I used Caribou Slobber to find the above information. I just sent an email to Northern Brewer to have them look into this and have it corrected.[/quote]

Thank you, My 1st mistake, buying a 8qt (2gal) pot. Should have bee a lot bigger!!! My kit did not come with grains, so I guess I just skipped that. Im not boiling the malt and 1 hop portion. I hope im doing this right. Thank You!

My mistake. I didn’t read the ingredient list. Yea, so no steeping then if your kit didn’t come with grains. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine and ignore what I posted above about them leaving that part out as it is not needed.

But yes, you will be boiling the malt and first hop addition for 45 minutes as per the instructions.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com