1st time all grain

This is my first time trying our all grain. I used the BIAB method. I am trying to brew a all grain irish red ale. I am using a yeast starter of American Ale II. I made the yeast starter the night before and I think it turned out correct. It smelled like love so I was happy. The next day I brewed my beer, it turned out fine. The OG reading was 1.041 and I was fine with that, tad bit low but for the first time I was OK with it. I chilled the wort down to 68 degrees and pitched the yeast. Let it sit over night and watched the airlock/carboy just in case. I noticed that the krausen only raised maybe an inch and fell within two days or maybe 3. The temperature around that time went up to 74 degrees. So i kind of started to worry. I contacted NB and they told me to just wait, all beers are different. So I did, now when I took the final gravity was around 1.008 ish. It smelled pretty yeasty and it tasted watered down. It has been in the primary now for 11 days. Is this beer ruined or do I put it secondary and it should be fine? Thanks for the help in advance.

I doubt its ruined. You ferment on the warm side, so you may get some off flavors. If it taste yeasty then I’d let it sit in primary for another week to help drop out more yeast and then bottle. You could also cold crash for a week and it should drop very clear.

It didn’t taste yeasty at all, it just smelled it. but I will try the cold crash. Do you know of any reason why the beer taste so water downed though?

What was the recipe? What temp did you mash at? your OG is a little low for style meaning less potential alcohol and your final gravity was also low for style meaning less body. At 4.3 %abv I’m sure it on the watery side. But don’t fully judge it yet it will taste different once carbed.

With the OG = 1.041 and the FG = 1.008 you got fairly high attenuation, which means the wort was more fermentable than average. Low mash temperature can do that, did you take a mash temperature reading? Highly attenuated beers do tend to be drier and have less body.

Wait until it’s carbonated to judge. I’ve tasted some of my un carbed green beer and thought it wasn’t going to be good, but low and behold after two or three weeks carbonating and aging turned out well. 8)

To me, flat beer always has that watery taste or feel to it. Give it time and that yeast smell or flavor will mellow out to.

I agree with the other folks here. At this point I wouldn’t worry at all. Wait till it’s had a little time to condition, carb, and chill. Then try it. You’ve got nothing to lose, but a little time. I suspect it will be just fine, perhaps with a little more yeast ester than you were looking for due to 74 degree ferment, but that shouldn’t prevent it being a very drinkable beer.

It sounds like your first AG attempt was highly successful to me. This forum will provide loads of suggestions for improvement and refinement of your process, but there’s nothing wrong with your batch. You can bottle it anytime now. If it still seems watery after it’s carbonated and chilled, you’ll just want to aim for a higher final gravity next time. The biggest influence is probably the recipe and its starting gravity. After that, your mash temperature, choice of yeast, and fermentation conditions contribute as well.