Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

1st keg kicked this weekend...couple observations

Hi all,

Brand new to kegging and friday evening, I emptied the first keg. It was a Bavarian Hefeweizen. Was pretty decent while it lasted!

Anyway, I openned the keg to clean it and saw what I think is alot of yeast slurry on the bottom of the keg. This batch I did prime with cane sugar before racking to the keg because I had not bought a co2 bottle of gas/beer line yet.

Anyway, In reading I thought any yeast in kegs are pulled in the beginning pours. I was expecting that too but never saw that on that beer. My guess is the yeast just kept working cuase of the priming sugar.

Second, I washed out the keg with hot soapy water and ran throught the niles about 3 times, then rinsed with hot water several more times each one pumping through the lines. I did not sanitize yet since my next brew wont be ready until probably this coming weekend.

I sealed it back up and put the co2 to it. I plan to pull it apart and sanitize everything on racking day. Does that sound like a good process or should I alter that procedure?

As a keg sits cold more and more yeast and other material will drop out until the beer clears completely. Home brew generally has a lot of stuff floating around, so you’ll always see some sediment on the bottom. No need for concern. 100% normal.

As for your process, you want to clean your kegs with PBW or Oxyclean and rinse well with hot water. You also want to break the keg down and soak the posts, poppets, etc either every keg or maybe every other keg. This is totally up to you. I do it every few kegs. In between I push oxyclean through and just wipe them down.

You do NOT have to seal the keg with CO2 after cleaning. Just let it sit open so it dries out. And yes, sanitize before you fill again.

Yeah, I always have a layer of sludge in mine. Some makes it into the first pour and sometimes into the last pour.

It’s pretty thick, so just around the dip tube gets pulled in.

Sounds like you need to get that keg filled. :cheers:

No doubt! I have to work on my timing for sure…I have a batch of a honey IPA that should be ready this coming weekend. A kolsch is on deck likely ready the weekend following.

I think I may need a 3rd keg!

No doubt! I have to work on my timing for sure…I have a batch of a honey IPA that should be ready this coming weekend. A kolsch is on deck likely ready the weekend following.

I think I may need a 3rd keg![/quote]

and then you’ll find you need a 4th…and a 5th… :cheers:

+1[quote=“Kgetch”][quote=“mrv”]Sounds like you need to get that keg filled. :cheers: [/quote]

I think I may need a 3rd keg![/quote]

+1 for sure. The more you have the more you will want!! :cheers:

If you sanitize it right after cleaning and seal the lid it will stay sanitized and be ready for next fill.

I prefer to sanitize a keg just prior to racking fresh beer into it, because it’s an easy way to sanitize the keg and auto-siphon at the same time.

I prefer to sanitize a keg just prior to racking fresh beer into it, because it’s an easy way to sanitize the keg and auto-siphon at the same time.[/quote]
I keg from a conical in sealed fashion. I get where you are coming from though.

I PBW mine making sure I get it into the dip tube by depressing the poppet when it’s full. Then rinse with hot water again depressing the poppet to make sure it’s drained out then repeat with Star-San. Once that has drained out I start to fill the keg with CO2 again depressing the poppet to clean every thing out set the PSI at 6 lbs fill it and store. When I’m ready to use it just fill it.

Thanks for the info all!

I had washed it all out with hot soapy water, running it thru the beer lines to clean them too. Rinsed hot water a few times.

yesterday, broke it down and starsaned it all. ran starsan thru the beer line too.

Triple C IPA is sitting at 20psi waiting to be sampled in a few days.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com