1st brew ... 14 day now for the block party amber .... Still bubbling?

2 cases of bottle been out all week by the wood stove with thermometers nestled in among the bottles … 68-70* is being maintained.
Inverting and gently swirling to re-emulsify yeast yielded 2 leaking bottles where cap was not sealing 100%
yup they FIZZ when caps not air tight & the beer gets out !!

1 Like

Turned out that my last post above was a Brett rally. Seems the beer is pretty good. My first cross contamination that I’ve noticed.

Hope you like Bret

Are you texting to yerself? Sneezles61

1 Like

Yeah I’m a fan of Brett. I think it’s perfect right now. So I will carb them up and consume. These will be gone by Christmas.

Getting out the bleach… 1 tablespoon per gallon plus an extra one For Flars Sake ( repurposing F.F.S.)

2 Likes

There may or may not have been a gravity sample of mead involved in that post. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Nothing like staying on the subject folks …

3 Likes

We’re posting about continued fermentation now. What going on with your brew?

Sometimes the trail meanders… Sneezles61

1 Like

with us…in the evening…after a few…NEVER!

2 Likes

well after @ 2 weeks bottle conditioning out near the wood stove @ 70*f put a sixer in the fridge this AM
Wife & I each had a couple this evening.

Light carbonation, very smooth and easy drinking … tho not really that flavorful.
Lets say refreshing … tho not quite satisfying.

Good first brew without a doubt … Whisky barrel porter next !

I’m not a kit brewer but I’ll look at the recipes and they often seem light on the hops maybe to keep the cost down. Also they may be old as well as the specialty grains. Augment your hops and get the grains uncrushed. Brew that Amber again if you like it before moving on. My opinion only

Hey BC, if he does a whiskey barrel porter, he can get that out quick, figure what few other things/processes he needs to hone in on… The lighter colored brews takes a bit more attention to get them closer to satisfactory… Not doubting that he can do it… More can go wrong with lighter brews… Dark are forgiving… Sneezles61

1 Like

Never brewed or had the block party amber but I’m not a huge fan of amber ales…generally speaking they always seem bland…some even boring…to me.

What was the yeast used?

My recommendation to new brewers is to brew what you like…maybe even a “clone” of a commercial beer you like…then you have something to compare it to and a beer you expect to enjoy.

Clone … I wish !!

Marin Brewing " San Quinton Breakout Stout " … like a Scottish ale on steroids !

Breakfast stout isn’t hard…have you had Founder’s? I brewed this a few years ago. Pretty good. A bit heavy on the coffee but that’s easy to fix. Lots of threads on here regarding coffee additions.

13 lbs 3.2 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 76.1 %
1 lbs 6.4 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.1 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.8 %
12.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
9.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.2 %
7.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.5 %
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 20.3 IBUs
0.40 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 5.8 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
2.00 oz Baker’s Chocolate (Boil 5.0 mins) Flavor 10 -
2.00 oz Cacao Nibs (Boil 5.0 mins) Flavor 11 -
2.00 oz Coffee - Sumatra ground (Boil 2.0 mins) Flavor 12 -
0.40 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 13 0.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml Yeast 14 -
2.00 oz Coffee Cold Brewed (Bottling 0.0 mins) Flavor 15 -

You could sub extract for the pale malt and steep the other grains.

BREAKOUT and not Breakfast ?

just a friendly correction …

Scott

1 Like

haha…must not have had my reading glasses on.

Just as simple…they have the recipe posted on their website.

This is a5.25 gal extract with steeped grains recipe. If you want to discuss the process in further detail we should start another thread but here’s what I came up with.

My brewhouse efficiency is based on 80%. Volumes are based on my old extract brewing system so you may need to adjust accordingly. You could do this as a partial or full volume boil.

If you brew this extract w/steeped grains you’ll likely get something in the neighborhood of 7% abv. The LME replaces 2 row, when I converted AG to extract BS2 replaces the flaked barley with carafoam and the white wheat with DME. If you prefer you could get the grains and steep them with the other grains but I don’t use a lot of wheat so other guys may have a better opinion on which is best. Carafa III which I use a lot is basically black barley. I like Wyeast and have used 1318 a lot but you could use whatever london ale yeast you like even US05 or some other dry american ale yeast.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: breakout stout - extract
Brewer: Danny
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Stout
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 6.68 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.68 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 34.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs 8.7 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 19.9 %
14.2 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.9 %
5.7 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.8 %
5.9 oz DME Wheat Bavarian (Briess) (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 2.9 %
8 lbs 9.9 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 5 67.5 %
1.53 oz Northern Brewer [9.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 50.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124. Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 12.4 oz

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

this is outstanding !!

Being new to brewing, is such a brew doable with limited experience ?

Yes it’s really pretty simple…kind of the next step for most new brewers.

You’d need to get your ingredients individually from a local homebrew store, NB or some other online store, grains crushed. Get a muslin bag to put your grains in, tie off the top. Ideally you want to steep for 20 minutes at around 150F but you can just drop the bag in the kettle while you’re warming it up, let it steep for 20 minutes or so but remove before your water reaches 170 degrees. These grains are mostly about color and flavor and not so much a mash. Then proceed as you would for a normal extract batch.

NB used to have videos on the site someplace that walked you through these processes. I’m not sure if they still do.