1st Batch

Ok so I am now part of the obsession after many months of just talking about it…and today…I brewed my first batch! (Irish Red)…and now I am not sure if its on the right track to being the delicious beer I want…I brewed it about 4 hours ago and (like a child) have checked it multiple times…I just checked again and decided to ask if this sounds right or am i just being worried i messed something up…im not seeing bubbles and there is very little foam on the top but there is a lot of stuff that settled on the bottom…am i expecting to see the yeast work too soon? or should it be working already? I appreciate the input!

BTW: I used dry yeast and (upon reading some threads here) didnt reactivate it…

Too soon. Don’t start to worry untill 36-48 hours.

It’s natural to worry about it, the best thing you can do is be patient. Spend this time finding the perfect spot to let it do its thing. Dark and with a temperature in the low 60s

Awesome to hear! I appreciate it

Also, relax and don’t worry. I’d say have another home brew, but since this is your first brew… have a craft beer from the store.

You’ll pick up tips on here on how to reduce lag time, and get a really fiesty fermentation going.

Have a beer and check it in the morning.

Sooo… do you see any activity yet? I’ve had batches start fermenting in a few hours, while others have taken upwards of 12 hours to show any signs.

I am very happy to report there is serious work being put in by my little yeast buddies! Checking progress was the first thing I did this morning and there is a lot going on! Thanks for putting my mind at ease! I feel like my child is in the basement haha. :cheers:

[quote=“BigStew84”]Ok so I am now part of the obsession after many months of just talking about it…and today…I brewed my first batch! (Irish Red)…and now I am not sure if its on the right track to being the delicious beer I want…I brewed it about 4 hours ago and (like a child) have checked it multiple times…I just checked again and decided to ask if this sounds right or am i just being worried i messed something up…im not seeing bubbles and there is very little foam on the top but there is a lot of stuff that settled on the bottom…am i expecting to see the yeast work too soon? or should it be working already? I appreciate the input!

BTW: I used dry yeast and (upon reading some threads here) didnt reactivate it…[/quote]

I got the same thing - just brewed it last night. Pitched the yeast dry (no reactivation) at 11:15 and when I checked it this morning at 8:15, had a healthy amount of activity from the yeast. House temp’s steady at 68 degrees in a non-heated/air conditioned closet. Looking forward to bottling and cracking open the first one in due time.

My stove could barely keep a light boil going. There were times that it fell below boiling, but as I checked these forums, it seems that other people have had the same problem, and that the beer turned out fine.

I guarantee the next time, I will boil outside. Have an outside burner, but will likely invest in a 7-10 gal stainless pot, so I can do a full boil.

[quote=“TexasGrant”][quote=“BigStew84”]Ok so I am now part of the obsession after many months of just talking about it…and today…I brewed my first batch! (Irish Red)…and now I am not sure if its on the right track to being the delicious beer I want…I brewed it about 4 hours ago and (like a child) have checked it multiple times…I just checked again and decided to ask if this sounds right or am i just being worried i messed something up…im not seeing bubbles and there is very little foam on the top but there is a lot of stuff that settled on the bottom…am i expecting to see the yeast work too soon? or should it be working already? I appreciate the input!

BTW: I used dry yeast and (upon reading some threads here) didnt reactivate it…[/quote]

I got the same thing - just brewed it last night. Pitched the yeast dry (no reactivation) at 11:15 and when I checked it this morning at 8:15, had a healthy amount of activity from the yeast. House temp’s steady at 68 degrees in a non-heated/air conditioned closet. Looking forward to bottling and cracking open the first one in due time.

My stove could barely keep a light boil going. There were times that it fell below boiling, but as I checked these forums, it seems that other people have had the same problem, and that the beer turned out fine.

I guarantee the next time, I will boil outside. Have an outside burner, but will likely invest in a 7-10 gal stainless pot, so I can do a full boil.[/quote]

Go with 10 gallon the exta space is worth it.

[quote=“TexasGrant”][quote=“BigStew84”]Ok so I am now part of the obsession after many months of just talking about it…and today…I brewed my first batch! (Irish Red)…and now I am not sure if its on the right track to being the delicious beer I want…I brewed it about 4 hours ago and (like a child) have checked it multiple times…I just checked again and decided to ask if this sounds right or am i just being worried i messed something up…im not seeing bubbles and there is very little foam on the top but there is a lot of stuff that settled on the bottom…am i expecting to see the yeast work too soon? or should it be working already? I appreciate the input!

I guarantee the next time, I will boil outside. Have an outside burner, but will likely invest in a 7-10 gal stainless pot, so I can do a full boil.[/quote]
yes my electric glass cooktop stove is the same. I couldn’t get more than 2 1/2 gallons going with a semi-rolling light boil. I ended up finding a turkey fryer on sale for like $35.00 and now use that and it works much better. I bought it about 3-4 months before they started selling this dark star burner - had I waited I think I would of gotten that and it would meet my needs.

Anyone know how well the dark star burner works? I was considering buying one for brewing outside when the weather gets warmer here in NY…and of coure NOW the yare offering a free one that I could have gotten as a freebie had I ordered my kit a week later than I did…but such is life haha :roll:

[quote=“gdtechvw”][quote=“TexasGrant”][quote=“BigStew84”]Ok so I am now part of the obsession after many months of just talking about it…and today…I brewed my first batch! (Irish Red)…and now I am not sure if its on the right track to being the delicious beer I want…I brewed it about 4 hours ago and (like a child) have checked it multiple times…I just checked again and decided to ask if this sounds right or am i just being worried i messed something up…im not seeing bubbles and there is very little foam on the top but there is a lot of stuff that settled on the bottom…am i expecting to see the yeast work too soon? or should it be working already? I appreciate the input!

Go with 10 gallon the exta space is worth it.[/quote]
+1 With 5 gallon batches and a 7 gallon pot you are limited to a 60 minute boil, and even then you need to watch the pot like a hawk to ensure you don’t get boil overs. With an 8 gallon pot, you can brew with pils malt (90 min boils), but again with little room for error. If you want to brew something exotic, like some historical brews using a traditional very long boil, you need the 10 gallon pot. And it will make everyday brews easier to handle as well.

I’ve heard less than stellar reviews about it. I hear it smokes and turns the bottom of your kettle black from soot. If you’ve got the money, I would suggest the Blichmann burner with leg extensions. It’s efficient and powerful. I realize you are just starting out in the hobby (I’m only 6 months in myself) but one thing you will realize is if you are going to be buying a piece of equipment, plan for 10+ years down the road. You’ll save money that way.

Yeah I def will do some homework before jumping on a burner just because the price is right. I very much look forward to sitting outside brewing…drinking…and having a cigar! :mrgreen:

Sounds about where I’m going to end up being…

So what kind of cigars are we talking here? I’m a bit partial to Gurkha but I also like variety so I have a number of top contenders in my humidor (Drew Estates, Rocky Patel, Hoyo De Monterrey, Cohiba…)

Thanks for the advice, rebuilt and GD! Will look into 10 gallon ones…

Not a big Gurkah fan but I do like Drew Estates, Obsidian, anything AJ fernandez touches (man of war, diesel, san lotano), Ramon Bueso to name a few…cigarfest is coming up in May huuuge event I am looking forward to it