Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

1st all grain - Oatmeal Stout

Started brewing the first of July. I did 4 extract kits, then 4 partial mash and now the NB Oatmeal Stout all grain kit. I have the Chinook IPA kit for the next one. Of the 4 partial mash brews one was a Belgian Dubbel converted from NB’s extract recipe. I also did Amber and Pale ales by my own recipes. 2 weeks still to go on the first of those.

While doing all those I was collecting the equipment for all grain and doing a lot of reading. I got a Turkey fryer and 10 gallon Rubbermaid drink cooler mash tun. I bought the valve kit from NB since when I priced everything at the box store it was only a couple dollars cheaper and I didn’t have to figure anything out. I used a water heater supply line for the mash screen.

I decided to do a batch sparge and everything went well. Preparation and careful attention made the process go easy, I was ready for things to be more difficult than they were.

The recipe called for an OG of 1.045, I measured 1.046 so I guess I may have done something right. I will know one way or another in about 6 weeks. I can’t wait to see the results.

It sounds like your first AG beer is most likely infected, you should send it to me for proper disposal.

Congratulations, welcome to all grain brewing! It really is easier than some believe. Enjoy the beer!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com