1st All Grain batch this weekend

…to get the clearest beers, which can be bottled in three (3) weeks, I learned how to get my beer to high-krausen in less than six (6) hours! A healthy yeast population will provide the cleanest possible beer!

You’ve been brewing a long time, so if you don’t know how already, look around on this forum on how to make a yeast starter; your taste-buds will be happy you do!

Hoppy Zymology,
Rev. Leonidas

I’ve been brewing for a long time, but with extended gaps. This is my first batch in over two years and first all-grain ever. Guess I’m a little rusty. :lol:

I always make a starter with liquid yeasts, but probably not big enough. I use an Ehrlenmeyer flask from the NB yeast starter kit, and just pitch the packet into the flask with cooled wort, let it ferment out and cold crash. I don’t do multiple step-ups. This brew I just used US-05 because I didn’t want to deal with the starter, and I’ve always had good results with it in the past.

[quote=“Joel5000”]I’ve been brewing for a long time, but with extended gaps. This is my first batch in over two years and first all-grain ever. Guess I’m a little rusty. :lol:

I always make a starter with liquid yeasts, but probably not big enough. I use an Ehrlenmeyer flask from the NB yeast starter kit, and just pitch the packet into the flask with cooled wort, let it ferment out and cold crash. I don’t do multiple step-ups. This brew I just used US-05 because I didn’t want to deal with the starter, and I’ve always had good results with it in the past.[/quote]

…oh man, I just smack the yeast pack, let it swell for three hours-or-so, place it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (at least 2); then, I pitch it in my 3/4-3/4-3/4 thingy; that is, 3/4 tsp. Dextrose (corn sugar), 3/4 cup DME, and 3/4 quarts water:

Combine 3/4 tsp corn sugar
3/4 cups DME
3 cups of water in a 4-6 quart pot with a lid

Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce to a simmer, and hold for 8-15 minutes. (if you live at a higher elevation, the loger boil time is for you); cover and cool to < 60F ASAP; I put the pot in an ice bath, that cools things quickly, like 20 minutes or less and the wort is less than 60F.

I distill this for 12 hours or more, cold-crash it (you know, stick in the fridge when i start my boil), pitch it into the chilled wort, and it’s at high-krausen in less than 6 hours!

Healthy yeast = clean tasting beer

I’ve always had good, clean, “fresh” beer, I suspect you have the same. So, what was your issue, it certainly ain’t yeast? How do you clean your stuff? What cleaning aids do you use: iodaphore, or?

Hoppy Zymology,
Rev. Leonidas

Just a little update for everyone who helped me with this batch.

I transferred to secondary and dry-hopped for a week with 2 oz of Amarillo. Kegged it last night (my first all-grain batch, and my first kegged batch.) The small sample I poured tasted amazing, even completely flat. Currently carbing at 37 degrees under 10 psi of pressure. Thank you to everyone who helped me out!

Second all-grain batch (a Widmer Brrr clone) is in primary!

Starting to carb up nicely, and I tried a glass last night. Six ounces of Amarillo = tangerine/orange citrus bomb! Tastes good, but literally tastes like I squeezed half a tangerine into the glass. This is the first time I’ve used Amarillo as the sole aroma/flavor/dryhop addition. Anyone else had massive orange/tangerine flavor with this hop?

I have a 15 minute hop bursted recipe that only uses amarillo and simcoe = Simarillo :expressionless: Yes, it tastes tangeriney for a few weeks, but then it mellows out quite a bit. This is one beer that I enjoy repeating because the flavor/aroma seems to change so much throughout the life of the keg.

[quote=“CliffordBrewing”]

I have a 15 minute hop bursted recipe that only uses amarillo and simcoe = Simarillo :expressionless: Yes, it tastes tangeriney for a few weeks, but then it mellows out quite a bit. This is one beer that I enjoy repeating because the flavor/aroma seems to change so much throughout the life of the keg.[/quote]

Good to know! :smiley: I’m glad to hear that it mellows out. Although I still enjoyed it, the tangerine was a little over the top for me.