Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

1214 banana bomb

1040-ish beer fermented in the mid 60s. Banana city. I’m thinking I might need to print corny jokes on the labels.

This is my first time using this yeast. Has anyone else had the same experience? Wondering if I should give it another go or not.

[quote=“bunderbunder”]1040-ish beer fermented in the mid 60s. Banana city. I’m thinking I might need to print corny jokes on the labels.

This is my first time using this yeast. Has anyone else had the same experience? Wondering if I should give it another go or not.[/quote]

Yep. I either avoid that yeast or make sure it never gets above 62.

Good to know, thanks.

Now I know what yeast to use on my next banana beer.

It throws as much bubblegum as banana! FWIW, when I want to use Chimay yeast I go to the trouble of culturing it from a bottle of Premiere. It seems a little mellower than what you buy.

It throws as much bubblegum as banana! FWIW, when I want to use Chimay yeast I go to the trouble of culturing it from a bottle of Premiere. It seems a little mellower than what you buy.[/quote]

That’s okay since my next banana beer is going to be a reallllllllllllly long time in the future. :wink:

If that’s a problem, you’re welcome to as much of mine as you can drink.

I have used 1214 with good results, but other times, it does produce a banana bomb. Not sure what the key variable is, but it may be fermentation temp.

It is funny how each person has a different reaction to this yeast. I personally hate bananas and anything flavored with it, but I love this yeast for my dubbels. :?

Just brewed my 2nd batch last night with the Wyeast 1214. Brewed NBs Belgian Ale La Petite Orange. Followed the recipe given and OG-1.052. Made a starter 2 days prior and decanted some of the starter wort. Pitched at 60F. The package says to ferment at 65-72F and the NB recipe states that this strain is a notoriously slow starter. 68-70F ambient temp in my house and the temp reading on the fermenter reads 66F. Any idea how slow? There are some bubbling starting to occur(12hr mark), but it looks like most of the yeast is settled on the bottom or is that not yeast? Should I give it a couple shakes every now and then to get the yeast suspended in the wort or will the yeast pick up once it’s starts fermenting? Any other suggestions would be very helpful.

I would guess that you have a lot more activity by now. (36 hour mark) How did you aerate the wort?

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com