12 hours and no fermentation

Last night I brewed the 1 gallon smashing pumpkin kit. I was a little too effective cooling my wort and pitched at 64 deg. When I did the dry yeast looked clumpy so I gave it a gentle shake to mix it up. Its been sitting in the fermenter at 64 for about 12 hours with no signs of fermentation . Should I be worried? (I already am) I used safale-05 dry yeast.

Mind you this is my second batch so I’m brand new.

Thanks in advance!

No worries, Scott. 64 is a really good temp for pitching 05. I would be surprised at activity at 12 hours at that temp. Be patient, it’ll take off. And try to keep the fermentation in the mid 60’s. In my experience, low 60’s has been the sweet spot for 05.

Good luck,

Ron

Don’t worry! Rule of thumb is don’t worry until 36 hours. You’ve got lots of time yet.

EDIT: And Ron is correct. Keep it cool.

Thanks guys!

I brewed an alt one time and used a liquid yeast that was way over the expiration date. I waited 2 days and no fermentation. So I bought a new yeast pack, pitched it and no problems.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]Don’t worry! Rule of thumb is don’t worry until 36 hours. You’ve got lots of time yet.

EDIT: And Ron is correct. Keep it cool.[/quote]

I’ve gone 72 hrs with no apparent issues. Good sanitation and a healthy pitch should keep you safe.

Like Ron and Dave said, keep it cool and let the yeast take over.

I just pitched some 05 on saturday night at 62 degrees…didn’t see activity until after 12 hours…but now she going strong.

what kind of fermenter you do use me not so happy with the big mouth bubbler . i had still krausen going on i do think they do not seal so good no airlock action did grav reading and it did it thing . so could be no perfect seal

The Big mouth bubblers are infamous for not sealing well and having little to no airlock activity. Solutions include using a couple of pieces of Saran Wrap, which is what I do now, or keg seal, kinda messy.

morning i use them only when i do have to when the other fermenting buckets or alloys are full got also experience with big mouth bubblers a blow over hahaah made my wife happy