11 lbs of Marris Otter Question

Anyone know what the original gravity of 11 lbs of Marris Otter is. Planning a Galaxy Smash.

Depends on hour eff… prob get mid to high 50s or low 60

with 5.5 gal its 1.057 with nothing more added.

Are you talking grain or LME? 11lb of LME would be 11 x 36ppppg = 396pts / 5gal = 80ppg = 1.080 OG.

If its grain I usually get 1.055 from 11lb of malt in a little over 5gal of wort.

That answer depends on your mash efficiency. If you get an average mash efficiency- about 65%- then you should get about 1.054. If you get more like 75% efficiency, then the OG would be about 1.063. Only you know what your mash efficiency is, and if you don’t know that figure, you should make it your top priority to figure it out based on the history of your past brews. One word of caution about Maris Otter malt, though: it’s known for having somewhat low diastatic power compared to other base malts, meaning that it can be hard to get it convert completely if you’re mashing at a high temp, so mashing at a low temp would be advisable if you’ve never used it before, and make sure your mash water has a good calcium content to give those enzymes all the help they need.

deliusism1 . you have a good point with efficiency and even better point with the calcium content .
the Maris Otter malt does act different as a base then some others . kudos.

[quote=“grainy”]deliusism1 . you have a good point with efficiency and even better point with the calcium content .
the Maris Otter malt does act different as a base then some others . kudos.[/quote]

Thanks. It’s easy to forget that the depth of character some base malts provide comes at a price, that price being the risk of poor mash efficiency or ultimately a failed batch of beer if the proper precautions aren’t taken to provide good enzyme nutrient.

[quote=“deliusism1”][quote=“grainy”]deliusism1 . you have a good point with efficiency and even better point with the calcium content .
the Maris Otter malt does act different as a base then some others . kudos.[/quote]

Thanks. It’s easy to forget that the depth of character some base malts provide comes at a price, that price being the risk of poor mash efficiency or ultimately a failed batch of beer if the proper precautions aren’t taken to provide good enzyme nutrient.[/quote]
At what temperature should MO be mashed? Any reference material on this? I’ve been mashing beers that I want to have more malt character a little warmer. I recently use MO for an ESB and mashed at 153. 74 % mash efficiency which is lower than I usually get with Golden Promise in this recipe.

Mash temp really doesn’t affect efficiency. You mash MO like any other malt, 150F for a more fermentable wort and 155+ for more body.

I think 75% efficiency is average.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]Mash temp really doesn’t affect efficiency. You mash MO like any other malt, 150F for a more fermentable wort and 155+ for more body.[/quote]+1 MO is not lacking in diastatic power compared to other base malts.

I know it’s just a personal thing, but I like the smooth mouth feel I get at 153 using M.O. on most my British stuff. Sometimes efficiency isn’t as much an issue with me, if it’s in the ballpark.