10 year old mead tasting

November 2002 I brewed a batch of mead to lay down for my oldest granddaughter until she’s 21. I figured it around 17% just from the honey. After primary I racked it onto five pounds of cherries and it fermented some more.
I opened one a couple of days ago to check on it and I’m happy with it. It has good honey and cherry notes. It also has a nice alcohal warmth to it that is not hot or harsh.

That is patience.

How much longer until the birthday tasting? I’m about an hour away. :wink:

She’s 11 now. I plan to open another one in five years, then give her the rest in another five.

I’ve also got meads aging for both her younger brothers, one’s 10 and the other’s 8. Later this year I’m going to do one for their 5 year old sister.

She’s 11 now. I plan to open another one in five years, then give her the rest in another five.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s a bit of a wait. :frowning: My youngest daughter is 8, maybe I should brew something epic for her 21st.

She’s 11 now. I plan to open another one in five years, then give her the rest in another five.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s a bit of a wait. :frowning: My youngest daughter is 8, maybe I should brew something epic for her 21st.[/quote]

You should. Make enough so that you can check on it’s progress every so often. I made the batches for the two boys a bit larger just so I can test them a little more often.

Patience has its rewards, especially with a nice hefty mead like this one.
Trust me on this…make another batch. You’ll be very glad you did.

In fact, make one everyyear.…you’ll have a great stash of the nectar for the special occasions in rest of your life (and a great party for those remembering you when your time comes, hopefully far into the future).

Patience has its rewards, especially with a nice hefty mead like this one.
Trust me on this…make another batch. You’ll be very glad you did.

In fact, make one everyyear.…you’ll have a great stash of the nectar for the special occasions in rest of your life (and a great party for those remembering you when your time comes, hopefully far into the future).[/quote]

I’m not making one every year, but I do have a wheat braggot, a pyment, and a cherry vanilla melomel sitting in the cooler waiting to be consumed.