Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

10 Gallon Brew

This will be my first try at a 10 gallon batch. I am looking at a 19# grain bill combined with a 10 gallon round cooler. has anyone tried fitting this much grain in a cooler that small? should I go for it or mash twice then boil? I am useing a kegle to boil and 2/ 5 gallon stock pots for my strike/sparge water so thats covered. I just don’t want to over fill my mash tun. my strike water vol is 6.32gal for the mash. Thanks in advace

Check out the Green Bay Rackers mash calculator, it will tell you if you can fit the grain and water in your mash thun.

http://rackers.org/calcs.shtml/

You’ll be ok for the mash. edit: [ignore] What are you going to boil the wort in? The 2 five gallon pots? You’ll need more headspace than that for sure. You’re asking for a double-boilover.[/ignore] I’m sorry. I re-read and saw that you are boiling in a keggle. :oops:

I use the same cooler - 19# and water is too much for it to handle - I think 16# is closer to the limit

I am brewing a 10 gallon batch tomorrow and use the same 10 galloon round for my mash tun but I have two of them so I split the grain bill between both. I must lift the mash tun up above the BK so with my setup, a single large cooler for large batch mashing is curently out of the question.

The 10 gallon round rubbermaid cooler maxes out at 25 Lbs grist at 1.25qts/Lb., however this would assume that you will be flysparging, or completing multiple batch sparges.

[quote=“gregscsu”]

The 10 gallon round rubbermaid cooler maxes out at 25 Lbs grist at 1.25qts/Lb., however this would assume that you will be flysparging, or completing multiple batch sparges.[/quote]

+1

[quote=“abrown001”][quote=“gregscsu”]

The 10 gallon round rubbermaid cooler maxes out at 25 Lbs grist at 1.25qts/Lb., however this would assume that you will be flysparging, or completing multiple batch sparges.[/quote]

+1[/quote]

Perhaps, I forgot to take into consideration that I use a Blichmann Autosparge and it reduces the volume- maybe you could fit more in AFTER the grain bed settles, but not right away

Thanks for the advice. did 2 five gallon sparges and it is frementing as I type,

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com