10 Gallon Batches--done gone and done it

So I finally converted that old sanke keg in my basement into a kettle so that I can do 10 gallon batches.

I’m going to have to reassess my situation a bit, and my propane burner will be getting much more use, but that’ll mean lugging a full hot keggle of wort from the back deck to the kitchen for chilling.

I was thinking a furniture dolly could help lighten the load? What do other people do, besides buy a pump, that makes chilling the wort and getting it into the fermenters easier?

I brew 10 gallon batches and I don’t have a pump. But I have a brew tower, so it’s gravity and and a counterflow chiller for me.

Transporting large volumes of hot wort is a recipe for disaster. I wouldn’t do it. If you don’t want a pump, you could always invest in a big immersion chiller, like this:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/xl-i ... iller.html

but for that kind of money, you’re almost better off buying a pump.

I also brew on my back deck. When it comes to chillin I use a large imersion chiller connected to the garden hose and chill right on the burner. Once the wort is chilled I will lift it onto a chair so I can gravity feed into the fermenter.

You want to avoid moving a full keggle of hot wort if you can. It is very dangerous and asking for burnt hands, arms, stomach, crotch, legs, and feet. All it takes is one bump or mistep and splash, hot wort sloshes out of the keggel and on to you.

[quote=“gregscsu”]I also brew on my back deck. When it comes to chillin I use a large imersion chiller connected to the garden hose and chill right on the burner. Once the wort is chilled I will lift it onto a chair so I can gravity feed into the fermenter.

You want to avoid moving a full keggle of hot wort if you can. It is very dangerous and asking for burnt hands, arms, stomach, crotch, legs, and feet. All it takes is one bump or mistep and splash, hot wort sloshes out of the keggel and on to you.[/quote]

+1 With 10 gals you’re moving over 120# of hot steel.

I brew in a detached garage and do the same, then transport the cool wort to my basement for racking.

Why are you bringing it to the kitchen? How are you chilling it? Chill it where you brew it with a simple home made two stage emersion chiller. What do you ferment in? I use two five gallon buckets . easy to move in a wagon. Don’t want to get hurt brewing beer, takes the fun out of it.