Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

10 gallon all grain system MINIMUM batch?

I bought a 10 gallon all grain system not too long ago and with winter coming I’d like to make a small batch (1-3 gallons) of Russian Imperial Stout pretty soon so I can enjoy some of it in the middle of winter. My question is what is the minimum amount of all grain beer I can make in my 10 gallon system with the system still being effective?

What size is your MT and BK?

For what it’s worth, I’d make a bigger batch…at least 5 gal if not the full 10.
You’ll be able to enjoy it mid-winter, but well made RIS will only get better with time, and would be killer by next winter.
Just something to consider. :cheers:

I agree. I would make at least a 5gal batch and stash what you can.

I can make a 5 gal batch in my 25 gal system so I would think you could make 3 gal easy. It really depends upon the size of your MLT. I have 3 different sized MLT’s and I use the smallest one which will accommodate my grain bill.

Hahahaha good point. I should just make a whole 5 or 10. I just don’t have the space in my fermenting fridge to keep a big carboy in for that long. I was hoping to get a couple smaller vessels and then once the primary fermentation is done, try and swing the rest of it in my closet. Bad form I know, but I have so much more I want to brew in the next few months/year :smiley: To answer your question though, I bought the 10 gallon all grain system from Northern Brewer so I believe the MT and HLT are both at least 10 gallons and then I also have a 15 gallon kettle.

Thing is, you don’t have to keep it in the fridge…cool cellar temps will do. I’ve kept big beers in secondary for upwards of 9 months to year at ambient cellar temps (in my basement, that’s 60-62ºF, and have never lost one yet (and we’re talking 25 years here).

If you did everything right, year at cellar temps should definitely not be a problem. Buy a 3 gal carboy to store part of the batch if you need to.
Trust me on this…it’s worth it. Despite all the hype about “fresh” beer these days, some are clearly far better when they are not “fresh”.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com