10 gal rubbermaid MT

I’m in the process of building a mash tun using the orange rubbermaid 10 gal cooler. I have a parts list of items needed to complete my build but I’m having trouble finding all of the SS parts. I would like to go all stainless but I’m wondering if brass is bad for mash tun parts. I really haven’t seen any debates on this question but I see the online sites offering both stainless and brass parts for this build. I’m excited to make my leap into all grain but this project is already frustrating me…please help!!

Thanks again to all who have helped me get where I am in my brewing career!

:cheers:

Are you sure you want to refer to your brewing accomplishments thus far as a brewing career??

By your own admission you are ALREADY frustrated…and you haven’t even started.

And by the way, after reading your post, I decided to type the following into my search engine…“stainless vs brass for home brewing”. Hundreds of websites appeared immediately. You could have done the same…but you are obviously lazy, too.

Easiest way to go:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/cooler-bulkhead.html

And then add on a 3 piece ball valve. The extra few dollars is money well spent over the 2 piece. The difference is that you can easily disassemble the 3 piece to clean it periodically.

Another option for the bulkhead assembly and ball valve: http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.ph … duct_id=85

[quote=“T Liza”]Are you sure you want to refer to your brewing accomplishments thus far as a brewing career??

And by the way, after reading your post, I decided to type the following into my search engine…“stainless vs brass for home brewing”. Hundreds of websites appeared immediately. You could have done the same…but you are obviously lazy, too.[/quote]

Wow - I’ve seen a few of your posts. You must be a JOY to live with (lighten up).

Mike

Did I say something that wasn’t true??

Did I say something that wasn’t true??[/quote]

No kidding!

I have since googled the question I was asking and have found legit answers, however, I was hoping for a response by Denny or Nighthawk or somebody on that level of homebrewing not a douche like yourself. Most of the threads that I’ve found are years old and knowing how things change, was looking for a more updated answer to my post. I’ve brewed 15 extract batches thus far and all have been great but I’m always looking to improve my product.

I’m almost afraid to dive into this ehem already spirited thread. The general consensus is that brass is safe to use as long as you pickle it. The amount of lead, especially surface lead, is marginal.

Yeah brass is safe, unless you live in California. If you’re concerned about it you can treat it with 2 parts vinegar and 1 part hydrogen peroxide for 5 minutes.

See the procedure noted by Glug Master (if you need a reference see John Plamer’s “How to Brew” 3rd edition). If you soak it for too long, the copper may begin to dissolve which will expose more lead.

I made the decision early on to go with all stainless fittings, valves, etc… My reasoning was that there is no risk of lead exposure, no effort required to treat the components before using, stainless steel is more resistant to corrosion, and–while the cost is higher–these components should be a one time purchase.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]See the procedure noted by Glug Master (if you need a reference see John Plamer’s “How to Brew” 3rd edition). If you soak it for too long, the copper may begin to dissolve which will expose more lead.

I made the decision early on to go with all stainless fittings, valves, etc… My reasoning was that there is no risk of lead exposure, no effort required to treat the components before using, stainless steel is more resistant to corrosion, and–while the cost is higher–these components should be a one time purchase.[/quote]

Thanks guys, I was waiting for some familiar names to reply. I did read about pickling the brass parts but like you, kcbeersnob, I decided to go all stainless. I just ordered the parts from the above website. Thanks again!

+1 If they feel it is safe enough for me to put it all though out my house to drink out of I am not going to worry to much about using it in making a product that i am going to drink. :wink:

Although I don’t know what Cali does to their parts or if they are that much smarter then me to put warnings like that on everything they make. /Rant off :blah:

Cheers

[quote=“T Liza”]Are you sure you want to refer to your brewing accomplishments thus far as a brewing career??

And by the way, after reading your post, I decided to type the following into my search engine…“stainless vs brass for home brewing”. Hundreds of websites appeared immediately. You could have done the same…but you are obviously lazy, too.[/quote]
This T Liza purpose with responses is only to bait some one. This person, be it male or female, or both, likes to ridicule posters when it seems easy to do so. This person offers no help on questions, no guideness on procedures and offers nothing to this forum. This person only waits to bait, when he/she thinks that there is a weakness. Only then will ths spineless person post something that will not help the OP, only for his/her self gratification.

If it walks like a duck…

[quote=“brewmanchu”]

No kidding!

I have since googled the question I was asking and have found legit answers, however, I was hoping for a response by Denny or Nighthawk or somebody on that level of homebrewing not a douche like yourself. Most of the threads that I’ve found are years old and knowing how things change, was looking for a more updated answer to my post. I’ve brewed 15 extract batches thus far and all have been great but I’m always looking to improve my product.[/quote]

Denny has forgotten more about home brewing than I will ever know. :wink: To put me in Denny’s league is foolish.

I use brass.

Even if you don’t do the vinegar and peroxide thing, which I’ve never done, you’ll have a patina built up after a few batches. Lead poisoning is very serious, especially for small children and people with weak immune systems, but it takes a healthy dose and prolonged exposure to make a healthy adult sick. I like dill ranch dip with my paint chips

[quote=“brewmanchu”]I’m in the process of building a mash tun using the orange rubbermaid 10 gal cooler. I have a parts list of items needed to complete my build but I’m having trouble finding all of the SS parts. I would like to go all stainless but I’m wondering if brass is bad for mash tun parts. I really haven’t seen any debates on this question but I see the online sites offering both stainless and brass parts for this build. I’m excited to make my leap into all grain but this project is already frustrating me…please help!!

Thanks again to all who have helped me get where I am in my brewing career!

:cheers: [/quote]

Just go to your local Fastenal and pick up your SS washers from there.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations.e ... =&state=PA

This is assuming you’re following the DIY instructions from this thread ( http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-e … ion-23008/ ), and–like most–the washers are the usual-hangup.

Mash tun is built! I found the 10 gal cooler at Home Depot for $23 (had crap spilled on top and side of it so they gave me 50% off). :smiley: I wound up getting the weldless cooler kit from bargainfittings.com. All parts are stainless and I chose the 3 piece ball valve ($5 more than 2 piece) and 12 inch screen…total cost to my door was $48. I put it together in 5 minutes and leak tested it with 180 degree water for 1 hour. No leaks and held temp to 178 before I drained it. Absolutely amazing!

Thanks again for all of the input fellow brewers! I’m waiting for kettle to arrive and maybe some nicer weather so that I can jump into AG

I use brass and I am not too concerned about lead posioning, but then I grew up in the Silver Valley in Idaho. Google it if you wish to futher your knowledge on lead posioning. I like brass because it is less expensive, easy to clean, readily available (any local hardware store), and it looks like gold, LOL. I have been brewing for several years and had I known of this web-forum way back when, I would have used it to gain advice. Don’t let the troll’s who only wish to put a person down to make themselves feel better ruin your search for knowledge. After all, we are always learning, even when we think we are experts. :cheers: