10 gal fermentor

Is there a significant advantage of using a single large vessel instead of 2 carboys?

Wondering if something like this is worth the $:

http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-pl ... 9-gal.html

I dunno, but I’m going to watch this thread with interest!

Personally, I have done it both ways and HATED using 2 carboys. One, it took up a bigger footprint in my ferm chamber. Then, I hated having to try to split a yeast starter into 2 carboys. Not to mention have to rack twice to keg. It was much easier to go with one fermenter.

I am using this for 10 gallon batches. The drum is 15 gallons so there is plenty of head space. The two screw caps have rubber rings around them so they seal tight, the bigger opening is good for racking, etc and the smaller opening fits a rubber stopper with an air lock. The cost is about half of the one in the op.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-1 ... astic-Drum

[quote=“NanoBrew”]I am using this for 10 gallon batches. The drum is 15 gallons so there is plenty of head space. The two screw caps have rubber rings around them so they seal tight, the bigger opening is good for racking, etc and the smaller opening fits a rubber stopper with an air lock. The cost is about half of the one in the op.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-1 ... astic-Drum[/quote]

This second bullet point kinda worries me

[quote]USAGE:

• Fuel storage: Not rated or recommended for this use.
  • Does not carry FDA or NSF approved certification required
    for storing drinking water.
    [/quote]

Why not just get 2 different kinds of yeast built up and essentially brew 2 different beers? I know that’s what I’d be doing if I brewed 10 gallon batches.

It is made from the same type of material all the fermentation and bottling buckets are made from. You can find these exact same barrels that do have a certificate and they cost about twice as much. In other words, these have not been sent for testing (extra cost) so you don’t get a piece of paper that says it has been tested to FDA standards (the same FDA that allowed “pink slurry” to be labeled as ground beef). Think of it this way, other people use the big orange buckets from the local home improvement store and those don’t have the FDA certification either.

Fair enough. It just looks like something you store chemical waste in. It kinda freaked me out a little :shock:

I get it. Really it is one of those legal disclaimers so you can’t go back to them about FDA stuff.
If it makes you feel any better I was looking for the ones with certificates and found a better price that do say FDA! Not sure how the plus shipping price will make the total.

http://www.bayteccontainers.com/new15galwaba.html

I guess chemical waste is a matter of perspective too. Yeast would probably consider beer to be a waste side product of the fermentation process. :slight_smile:

How do you clean that barrel out?

PBW, water, & time.
Everything rinses out the next day. Since I am doing 10 gallon batches I don’t need the fermenter again for a while so I don’t have to rush a PBW soak. The big batches are for my two house beers, a pale ale and a stout. Right now I am behind in inventory. I have a pale ale fermenting now, when I keg that I will put the stout on top of the yeast cake (no cleaning). When that is done I will keg the stout and clean the fermenter and won’t need it for a long time. Other than time to bring the water to boiling, 10 gallon batches don’t take any longer so I can go twice as long between brew days.

The problem for me with a single large fermenter is that I have to move my fermenters around, usually up and down stairs. For instance, my basement is prime for lagers right now, ~ 47 but to do a d-rest I need to lug the fermenters upstairs where it’s warmer, then haul it back down for kegging.

that is definitely a legitimate concern. Fortunately for me I have a walk out basement and can do everything on one level. I roll my fermenter when I need to move it. You can see it under the fermenter here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118129

I would not want to try to take this up any stairs either.

I like the Curtec 15 gallon wide mouth kegs. They are cheap, easy to clean and serve me very well. There is an o-ring in the lid which makes for a great seal. I drilled a 1/2" hole in each lid, added a rubber grommet and an air lock. In the event I need a blow off tube, I pull off the airlock top and bubbler and slip a piece of 1/2" hose right over the stem of and put the other end into a bucket of water.

These are available on eBay but the buyer mistakenly shows them as 13 gallon. They are Curtec 7055 which hold 55 liters. I also have a video below showing how I get them from the garage to the basement. These days, I prefer to have my helper carry one handle and I grab the other.

Curtec 7055 on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200849025434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

YouTube Video of me carrying Curtec full of 12 gallons

I just bought one of the MullerBrau specials!

Shipping was basically as much as the bucket. And unfortunately cannot combine multiple buckets to save on shipping. But still, $35 aint bad.

I also like the fact that this one is only 20" high. The other comparable buckets were at least 24", which for me, is a bit of an issue.

Thanks Muller, great suggestion!!!

I was also looking at the Speidel. The upsides are it has nice handles, easy to clean, costs only $10.00 to ship and has a spigot. I’m just not sure it would be above the trub line on a 10 or 11 gallon batch? The down side is it costs $90.00 If I buy this one I wouldn’t even use a carboy for most of my ales. I just did a brown ale in the plastic bucket and racked straight to the keg after 2 weeks. It was excellent. Thinking I have been wasting time using carboys as my secondary.

This is a link to the 13 or 15 Gallon one…at $18.50 you can’t go wrong. Also you could probably add a spigot to the side very easily?

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2013/12/13 ... s-for.html

Why not just get 2 different kinds of yeast built up and essentially brew 2 different beers? I know that’s what I’d be doing if I brewed 10 gallon batches.[/quote]
Because I brew enough for variety and I want 10 gals of the same beer.

Why not just get 2 different kinds of yeast built up and essentially brew 2 different beers? I know that’s what I’d be doing if I brewed 10 gallon batches.[/quote]
Because I brew enough for variety and I want 10 gals of the same beer.[/quote]
Dang. Well, that’s cool I guess. I sometimes wish I had 10 gallons of a beer, but it’s kinda rare. Wish it happened more often.

Well get out there and brew! :lol:

Not trying to hijack thread, but think the OP may be interested in this question too.

With that Speidel fermentor can you drain off some of the trub well in advance of racking to keg? My assumption would be that it would depend on how thick it was? My fear would be that the trub line on a 10 gal batch would be above the spigot?