1 Step vs Star San

[quote=“grainbelt”][quote=“Monster Mash”][quote=“ruinah69”]

yeah not sure who told you it was. It’s just a cleaner. 1 Step and then use Star San after.[/quote]

I guess it just depends on where you buy it…

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productc ... 3p1135.htm

I personally wouldn’t use it because it doesn’t seem as strong as alkaline cleaners.[/quote]

no it doesnt.[/quote]

That site states it is a cleaner/sanitizer, that doesn’t make it true but it answers the question about why someone would think it was.

[quote]

That site states it is a cleaner/sanitizer, that doesn’t make it true but it answers the question about why someone would think it was.[/quote]

true misundertstood you. poepl list and and sell it as a sanitizer I think at every HBS I have ever looked at :cheers:

i use one step as a cleaner 90% of the time. I use PBW the other 10% if i need some serious gunk removal. i use one step, rinse thouroughly then i sanitize with star-san. Its how I’ve always done it, and it works for me

:cheers:

Well, after reading all the replies, I went to the HBS and bought some Star San. Now, I just need to figure out how to use it.

go get distilled water and mix it your first batch will probably last for months. If you dont get distilled it might not last that long depending on your tap water

Well, I put 6-7 ml in a gallon jug of distilled water. I just made a yeast starter, as I’m brewing the Midnight Beatdown Wheaten Porter tomorrow. I took advice and used the 1 Step as a cleaner, rinsed it and used the Star San for the first time. Interesting how much foam there was, especially in the flask.

I do appreciate all the advice. Hopefully, my beers will be even better.

Paul

I love that foam. It is reasurring to watch and know that the last thing to touch the glass before your wort hits it is the foam being pushed out continually resanitizing the mouth of the carboy.