1 ounce pellet hops = clogged corney

I dry hopped my last batch and did not put the pellet hops in a bag. I just dropped 'em in the corney keg. Yup, clogged keg. I transferred the brew to another keg and all is well.

Just a word to the wise, ALWAYS use a muslin bag or nylon or cheesecloth to hold the hops for dry hopping. Even a qty as small as 1 ounce can cause problems.

I’m hoping I don’t have to disassemble the corney to unclog it. I’ll let it sit with some hot water and will then carb it and hope it dislodges when I pour it from kegerator. Unless you guys have a better suggestion ?

[quote=“john57”]I dry hopped my last batch and did not put the pellet hops in a bag. I just dropped 'em in the corney keg. Yup, clogged keg. I transferred the brew to another keg and all is well.

Just a word to the wise, ALWAYS use a muslin bag or nylon or cheesecloth to hold the hops for dry hopping. Even a qty as small as 1 ounce can cause problems.

I’m hoping I don’t have to disassemble the corney to unclog it. I’ll let it sit with some hot water and will then carb it and hope it dislodges when I pour it from kegerator. Unless you guys have a better suggestion ?[/quote]

Yes, you should never drop pellets in and not expect a serious clog. Plus you will get chunks of hops in your beer?

I cannot understand why everyone is so hesitant to disassemble a corney keg. I could take one completely apart and reassemble in under 2 minutes, blindfolded.

+1 nothing to taking them apart.

Been there, done that. I would take it apart either way. Even after dislodging and emptying a clogged keg, there’s often quite a bit of hop gunk still stuck under the poppet.

you usually have to remove the out post because the hops usually clog the poppet. i didn’t use a muslin bag one time and it was a bit mistake, never again.

I cannot understand why everyone is so hesitant to disassemble a corney keg. I could take one completely apart and reassemble in under 2 minutes, blindfolded.

So exactly what is required to disassemble a corney Do I need special sized ratchets ?

well, I just took it apart. You guys were right, easy peasy. And yes, it was clogged . I ran some hot tap water thru it and it dislodged.

7/8" closed end box wrench does 85% of mine

For future reference, you may find that a small stainless braid (just like a lot of guys use in their MLT) installed on the intake end of the liquid dip tube will work nicely as a filter. I’ve done this successfully several times with whole hops. In theory it should work with pellets too, although I have not tested it.