Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

1 Gallon Fermentor Question

Hey there. I have been a customer of NB for about 3 years, but just signed up this morning for the forums.

I tried searching the forum and the site for this answer but couldn’t find it, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered BUT…

Here is my question

For the 1 gallon fermentors they now sell - how big is the actual fermentor? I guess I am asking more out of curiosity then anything else.

I have been doing 5 gal extact kits for 3-4 years, loving it. but now the idea I can do maybe some smaller quick kits to either just bang out 10-12 bottles, or to try a kit or experiment before doing a 5 gal batch is quite appealing.

But again, if I am doing 1 gallon batches, how big is the actual fermentor? 1.5 gal? something like that? I assume there is room for the fermentation etc.

Finally, has any of the other more seasoned folks on here tried a few of the gallon kits? any thought on if it is a good way to get a quick batch or not?

thanks in advance everyone

I believe they’re only 1 gallon, which explains why there were so many “why is my 1 gallon fermentor blowing out?” threads a while back. Definitely need a blowoff tube.

Having done 1, 2.5, 3, 5, 6, 8, and 15 gallon batches, I don’t see a huge difference in time commitment between the 1 and 2.5 gallon batches. The big difference is really ingredients, so they’re pretty nice for experimental batches, but for a known batch that you want to knock out, I like at least 2.5 gallons.

thanks, I guess that was what i was wondering. I know for my 5 gal batches I use a 6 gallon primary better bottle or a 6.5 gallon (I think?) bucket depending on my mood…

I was just wondering for the 1 gallon batches if there was room for fermentation. Sounds like if I do this I am using a blow off tube versus the airlock (which is weird since the photos show it with an airlock - sounds like a recipe for a mess…)

I love doing 5 gallons and will be what i still do most of the time. But the idea of being able to do a quicker 1 galon batch is appealing. part of it is my stove is kind of weak, so for the 5 gallons I really need to use my burner I bought outside, which is great (love it) but limits to a degree the flexibility of brewing. if I can on top of my normal 5 gallon batches do a few quickie batches on my stove at 10:30 - 11:00pm at night that is appealing.

for the 2.5 gallons, are you just scaling your own recipies I guess?

I currently brew one gallon batches and they are roughly 1.25 gallons so a blowoff tube is highly recommended.

In my experience it will save some time, but not much. Maybe a hour since you steep the specialty grains for 10 mins and boil for 45. The cooling process might be quicker, depending on what technique you use.

If you decide to go all grain for one gallon the only point that you will save time is with sparging. Otherwise it will still take just as long.

Also be prepared to only get 6-9 bottles per batch on the average depending on trub, technique, and the experience with the one gallon setup.

Other than that I have enjoyed the one gallon setup for the money and space it saves me and the fact I get to experiment without risking 50 bottles of beer.

The down side is the limited number of bottles a gallon makes so you need some good patience to let the beer age before it is all gone.

Hope some of this helps.

Thank, yes it does help

I don;t know if I would be doing tons of 1 gallon batches, but at times I just think it would be slightly easier then dragging up 5-6 gallons of water outside, getting by huge pot out, etc etc. if nothing else just getting the water to boil etc would be so much faster.

I saw Northern has a 2 gallon bucket too. maybe a safer alternative…

They sell a 2 gallon bucket as well, that you could do small batches in. You could at least do a 1.5 gallon batch if you were looking to do some experimenting.

Just saw you mentioned that in the thread…I think that’s a better way to go then to use a 1 gallon jug, IMO.

yes CCM the 1 (1.25?) gallon jug is pretty cute and all, and I bet it looks kind of cool sitting there looking like a baby carboy, BUT for practicality I am wondering if the $2.00 cheaper 2 gallon bucket is a slightly safer way to go.

I am also a bit concerned about how many bottles I would actually get with the 1 gallon kits. when I do 5 gal I never get more than 44-45 bottles. not sure I have ever gotten a full 48 + bottles. if I would get 10-12 bottles with the 1 gal thing it is one thing. seems like a lot of work for 6-7 bottles though

ps - thanks, you guys are great. I have been reading this forum for years, have meant to begin posting many times.

If I ever get around to it I am going to purchase another 2 gallon bucket. The one I have now is used for bottling and storage.

What you can do to make sure you get at least 10 bottles a batch is make just over one gallon of wort and rack it into the bucket for primary fermentation then rack into the one gallon fermentor for secondary if you so choose to. The lack of extra space in the one gallon fermentor is a big drawback.

If you find that making just over one gallon of beer is affecting the taste just keep some extra malt extract on hand or just up the grain bill by 10% to counter the added water.

With the one gallon extract brewing you will have very little trub and sediment to worry about but with all grain you will have quite a bit so I do highly suggest to use the bucket for the primary.

These are the notes I have taken in my experiences and part of my future plan. Hopefully it will save you some frustrations.

Yes, I’ve never once used a recipe kit; I make all my own. Sometimes I’ll look at the ingredient lists of the NB kits for inspiration, but even so I always build from scratch. I buy base grain bulk, and try to keep several pounds of my more regular grains on hand. I save yeast, so very rarely buy it anymore. I’d like to try keeping more hops on hand too, but for some reason I always use them up and end up buying for each brew.

Awesome guys, thanks. Sounds like if I do chose to make an occasional 1 gal batch vs the normal 5 I am going to get the 2 gal bucket. The exact fears/questions I had about the 1 gal glass jar sound like they were correct, and your responses were great. If anything it moved me off maybe chosing the glass jug and instead getting the 2 gal bucket if I do go that route at all

I kind of wonder why they wouldn’t of just made the jug 1.5 gallons…not rocket science. but oh well.

One gallon beer brewing is way way way way too new of a concept so the market for one gallon equipment is too small. One gallon fermentors, as far as I understand, were originally meant for wine, mead, cider, etc. so they are out there.

The one gallon market is growing so don’t be surprised that after awhile 1.5 fermentors, plus other things, start showing up.

Brooklyn Brew Shop does offer a couple of one gallon kits that NB does not. They also give you an idea on how to brew/sparge one gallon batches.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com