1 Gallon Extract Kits? Anyone tried these?

Hey, has anyone tried the new NB 1 gallon extract kits I see now being promoted?

I’m a frequent 5 gallon partial mash & extract brewer with NB kits, but thought it’d be fun to do one of the 1 gallon kits (like Dead Ringer IPA) to test one out before making a larger batch. Plus, they looked fast and super easy to brew, ferment and bottle.

I know they are new, but let me know if anyone’s done one of these, and especially the 1 gallon Dead Ringer IPA… I’m also wondering what’s in the 1 gallon kits (e.g. what kind of malt extract, any specialty grains, how much hops, etc).

thanks
Greg

I looked into making 1 gallon batches before but when I realized that is really only 8 or 9 bottles of beer it seemed like too much work for too little reward. YMMV!

wow, this is the first I’ve heard of those, but I can’t imagine going to the trouble for anything less than 5 gal

I am with you. Thinking of going to 10 gallon batches because it is only a little more work than 5 gallons.

I could envision going to 2.5 gallons in the winter if I did not have a garage, but I do.

It was a 1 gal all grain kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop that got me hooked on brewing. After that I moved up to 5 gal batches. It’s not that much faster brewing 1 gal as opposed to 5, plus you end up with 5 times as much. IMO, i’ts not worth it.

[quote=“greggus2000”]Hey, has anyone tried the new NB 1 gallon extract kits I see now being promoted?

I’m a frequent 5 gallon partial mash & extract brewer with NB kits, but thought it’d be fun to do one of the 1 gallon kits (like Dead Ringer IPA) to test one out before making a larger batch. Plus, they looked fast and super easy to brew, ferment and bottle.

I know they are new, but let me know if anyone’s done one of these, and especially the 1 gallon Dead Ringer IPA… I’m also wondering what’s in the 1 gallon kits (e.g. what kind of malt extract, any specialty grains, how much hops, etc).

thanks
Greg[/quote]

I just ordered one of these kits and I’ll probably be brewing this coming Sunday. I’ll report back as to whether the work is worth it or not. I’m a 1-2 beer per session kind of guy, so only getting 8-10 beers is good for me, I think.

I took a look at this PDF to see what is included in the kit:

It depends on what your goals are in brewing. I don’t brew 5 gallon batches anymore, I get tired of a beer about 2-3 gallons into the keg. So I brew 3 gallon batches. One gallon batches do seem a little small for me…but if you’re wanting to learn what a certain malt or hops or yeast do to a beer, it’s a good way to go.
If they start putting out 3 gallon extract and all grain batches, that’d be cool. I know they do the BIAB 3 gallon kits, but that’s all they do, I think.

just want to warn you that I probably drank 1.5 gallons of dead ringer before it really got delicious.

It is my goal to transition to 3 gallon batches. I have all materials, I’m just going to get all the processes down.

What do you mean? You had to drink that much before you “warmed” to it? I’m really curious how it will taste. I’m a bitterness fiend so maybe I’ll like it? Although it’s not the most bitter, my favorite IPA at the moment is Dogfish Head’s Burton Baton two-thread IPA. My favorite stout at the moment is Boulevard Brewing’s Dark Truth Stout so I’m hoping to make a stout next.

It is my goal to transition to 3 gallon batches. I have all materials, I’m just going to get all the processes down.

What do you mean? You had to drink that much before you “warmed” to it? I’m really curious how it will taste. I’m a bitterness fiend so maybe I’ll like it? Although it’s not the most bitter, my favorite IPA at the moment is Dogfish Head’s Burton Baton two-thread IPA. My favorite stout at the moment is Boulevard Brewing’s Dark Truth Stout so I’m hoping to make a stout next.[/quote]
The instructions say it’s ready in 6 weeks but it’ll reach it’s prime 4-8 weeks after it’s carbonated.

If you can get a fermenting bucket and a 5 gallon kettle you might as well do 5gal batches. Same process, same amount of work, MORE BEER IN THE END!

I’ve also been interested in picking one of these up. I have been thinking about doing smaller extract batches, to eventually make my own recipes. I’m an apartment dweller so space is finite. Seems a better investment for a trial and error approach than doing 5 gal of something that tastes like p*ss. $.02

Too much beer. I’m moving to 3 gallon batches because lately my liver hasn’t been able to keep up with my appetite for brewing.

[quote=“burtonownz”]

What do you mean? You had to drink that much before you “warmed” to it? I’m really curious how it will taste. I’m a bitterness fiend so maybe I’ll like it? Although it’s not the most bitter, my favorite IPA at the moment is Dogfish Head’s Burton Baton two-thread IPA. My favorite stout at the moment is Boulevard Brewing’s Dark Truth Stout so I’m hoping to make a stout next.[/quote]

I also love betterness. I had cracked my bottle at about 2.5 weeks and they were decent so I kept drinking them. At about 5 weeks they were great, I wished I hadn’t drank so many as they were aging.
I’d be worried with a 1 gallon batch that they would have all been gone before I knew how great they could be.

Too much beer. I’m moving to 3 gallon batches because lately my liver hasn’t been able to keep up with my appetite for brewing.[/quote]

I understand. In the height of summer my wife will drink beer. Fall through late spring, it’s all me. So besides giving lots of beer away, I am moving towards 3 gal BIAB batches. My first attempt was an APA that became a session because my stove didn’t cause a vigorous enough boil.

I am an apartment brewer with limited storage space (for equipment and bottled beer) and no option for outdoor brewing (besides brewing at a friend’s house).

IMO it’s not that good of an investment. One 5gal Dead Ringer kit costs the same as four 1gal kits. And throwing away yeast??? Blasphemy :wink:

Too much beer. I’m moving to 3 gallon batches because lately my liver hasn’t been able to keep up with my appetite for brewing.[/quote]

Start doing lagers…they take longer and give your liver a rest.

Not trying to be a 8==D here, just speaking my mind. I get not everyone wants or has the capability of 5gallon batches. Just throwing it out there…

:cheers:

In Ontario now there is a company making 1 gal all-grain kits. Like the other posters this seems like too much work for so little beer. And if I were to actually do something with such a low volume I would prefer it be with my own recioes for trial batches.

I understand. In the height of summer my wife will drink beer. Fall through late spring, it’s all me. So besides giving lots of beer away, I am moving towards 3 gal BIAB batches. [/quote]

I tried giving the excess beer away, but it’s had a devastating effect on my bottle supply. :cry:

[quote=“mvsawyer”]Start doing lagers…they take longer and give your liver a rest.

Not trying to be a 8==D here, just speaking my mind. I get not everyone wants or has the capability of 5gallon batches. Just throwing it out there…
[/quote]

I’ve totally got the ability to do 5 gallon batches. But if I make less beer at a time I get to make beer more often. And lately I’ve been wanting to brew more-or-less constantly. :cheers:

I’ve never really gotten into lagers but give me a suggestion of one to try that you think it pretty good! I’ll put it on my list to drink this weekend.

I limit myself to no more than 1 beer a day, maybe 2 on special occasions. I’d still much rather do 5 gallon batches. I’ve found that I like making heavier English ales, especially old ales. They have a really long shelf life AND they get interesting as time goes on. I made too much of a pale ale and got tired of it, so I gave a lot of that one away.