1 gal Irish Red Ale recipe

I’m new to the wonderful world of brewing beer, and have been reading a lot about the pros of brewing small batches - 1 gal in particular. I brewed a NB Irish Red Ale today, and wanted to copy down the recipe. However, the only indication of the grail bill is summed up with - proprietary grain blend.

Is the 1-gal version a scaled down 5-gal? The 1-gal recipe uses 1 lb Sparkling Amber DME, whereas the 5-gal has:

• 0.5 lbs Belgian Caramel Pils
  • 0.25 lbs Briess Special Roast
  • 0.125 lbs Belgian Biscuit
  • 0.125 lbs English Chocolate Malt
  • 6 lbs Gold Malt syrup

If it tastes as good as it smelled and looked, I’ll be very happy.

Try dividing the grain by 5. Pretty difficult :wink:

I’m not sure about the “pros” of making 1gallon batches. Other than it a good size to use when increasing the cell couple of liquid yeast, a ‘starter’.

IMO, the work involved to end with 8-10 bottles of beer is not worth it. Instead 2.4-3 gallon batches are a good compromise if you are the only one drinking and want to have a variety on hand and brew every couple of weeks for the enjoyment of it.

Thanks Nighthawk. I’m still not sure if the grains are the same in both recipes. Regarding the size - I’m using it more for experimenting then for variety. I’ve been brewing 5-gal batches and would rather blow 1-gal then 5. :smiley: