– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

IPA water profile please critique

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

SiouxerBrewer

Master Brewer

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:49 pm

IPA water profile please critique

I'm working on a water profile for an IPA style. Basically I want to develop a basic water profile, then adjust the RA for different SRMs. Here is what I have come up with so far:

IPA SRM 5-6

CA - 132ppm
Mg - 16ppm
Na - 25ppm
SO4 - 327ppm
Cl - 38ppm
HCO3 - 66ppm

I plan on "building" this profile from RO water by adding minerals. I'm looking to build a water profile that will allow for a smooth hoppy IPA with a medium body to it. How does this profile look? (I used Palmer's spreadsheet to calculate RA/SRM.)
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other." John Adams
<<

Brewhobby

Master Brewer

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:20 pm

I don't know what the perfect water profile is for an IPA, but I can give you the parameters on what I use.

Ca between 50-100 ppm
Mg 5-20
Na 25-50
CaSO4 90-120
Cl 60-100
CO3 30-50(darker IPA's can be higher)

The carbonate content should be fairly low for a light colored IPA(30-50 ppm). The amount of sulfate you have there is way too high. I always recommend to start on the low end and go up from there. I'd probably start with ~100 ppm and no more than 125 on your first batch. See how it comes out and adjust from there.
Primary- Czech Pilsner, IIPA
Secondary- IIPA, BVIP, Doppelbock, Baltic Porter
Kegged- A whole lotta beer
On Tap- Helles, Pale Ale, Rye IPA
Next Up- BVIP, IPA
<<

SiouxerBrewer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:12 pm

Thank you for the detailed reply. I can see by your mineral levels that you are not the only one that thinks the Burton water profile seems a little excessive; which is why I scaled it back some. I think I'm gonna scale back even further now and go with the approach you mentioned of starting with less then adding more in the future. Do you know what type of flavors might be associated with the high levels of sulfate that I have in there now? I'm still learning about water profiles and don't have much experience with making adjustments.
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other." John Adams
<<

Brewhobby

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:22 pm

Sulfate increases the perception of hop bitterness and makes the beer seem drier. If you add too much it will over exaggerate this and won't be as pleasant. You're looking to get a crisp bitterness without overdoing it. My palate says to keep it under 125 ppm, probably closer to ~100. Your palate may say to increase it a little more. I would never recommend going more than 150-160 ppm, but I'm sure some people do. As long as your carbonate levels are low, or at least in the lower range in RA for the color beer you are making you should be alright, just start on the lower end with the sulfate on your first batch and if it's not quite where you want it you can increase it a little on your next batch. Of course the total IBU's and variety of hop(s) that are used in your beer will also have an effect, so there is some balancing there that you need to practice. That's why it is best to start on the low end and work your way up.
Prost!!
Next Up- BVIP, IPA
<<

SiouxerBrewer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:39 pm

Thank you for the excellent advice, this is exactly the information I was looking for.
<<

SiouxerBrewer

Master Brewer

Post Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:45 am

I must say that was quite a balancing act of salts etc... to achieve that water profile for a range of different SRM IPAs. Will this profile work for an APA as well? I imagine it would but if you have a different suggestion I'm all ears (eyes?).
<<

Brewhobby

Master Brewer

Post Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:49 am

Yeah, I believe I use the same water profile for Pale Ales.
Next Up- BVIP, IPA
<<

beercheer4me

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:15 pm

Re: IPA water profile please critique

Here is the Water profile I have from Ward Labs
PH 7.8
Na = 5