– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Bayou Classics: KAB5 rather than KAB4?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

brewsumore

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 23, 2008 11:53 am

Bayou Classics: KAB5 rather than KAB4?

Does the KAB5 propane burner work better than the KAB4 with a keg kettle? I ordered the KAB5, they sent me the KAB4 which doesn't provide a very good platform for the keggle to sit on, and I would return it and get the KAB5 if the KAB5 works better. Thanks.

Here's the KAB4 -- The keg kettle barely centers on the supports, I need either larger circumference support so it's solid, or less circumference so the keggle edges would go outside the supports.

<<

brewsumore

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 23, 2008 12:20 pm

I found an answer in the archives that indeed the KAB5 fits a keggle right out of the box and the KAB4 doesn't, but the supplier tells me the only difference is the pressure hose and that the burners have been redesigned since last year. I think it's time to get an RMA and try again.
<<

Dean Palmer

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 23, 2008 12:31 pm

The difference in the KAB5 and KAB4 is the frame, and the regulator. I have both models, and when the KAB4 was the only thing available, I got one and made the modifications you can see in the picture. One horizontal piece of rod, and one vertical to allow the keggle to sit level, and not slide off.

Simple mods, but my KAB5 didn't really need them. The KAB5 still has the keggle sitting near the edge, but it is not an issue like the KAB4.

If someone else is paying for the shipping, have them send you the KAB5. If not, some simple welding will solve the issue.
Dean

My Brewing Website: www.TheBeerJournals.com
<<

brewsumore

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 23, 2008 12:35 pm

Thanks Dean -- I'll have to get an RMA and try again. Also, unfortunately I don't weld.
<<

brewsumore

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 23, 2008 1:04 pm

Has anybody had a problem in getting a quick enough boil with the lower, 20 psi regulator of the KAB5? The KAB4 uses a 30 psi regulator. I came across a website that said the KAB5 can't create a fast boil.
<<

Dean Palmer

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 23, 2008 1:13 pm

The KAB5 with the current regulator is more than powerful enough, and works just as fast. Any more flame and you are just wasting gas!

I use both of these every brew day, and I can tell you that they are both almost overkill :D

If someone had an issue with these, they were doing something wrong, or had a defective component. They are the most powerful ready-to-use burner out there.

Now if they were talking about the SQ-14, that is a lower powered version that has a hard time with bigger boils, but it works. I use mine for the HLT.

Edit: We also have no idea of what the person was trying to boil in, the volume, and his idea of "quick."
Dean

<<

brewsumore

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 23, 2008 1:27 pm

Dean Palmer wrote:The KAB5 with the current regulator is more than powerful enough, and works just as fast. Any more flame and you are just wasting gas!

I use both of these every brew day, and I can tell you that they are both almost overkill :D

If someone had an issue with these, they were doing something wrong, or had a defective component. They are the most powerful ready-to-use burner out there.

Now if they were talking about the SQ-14, that is a lower powered version that has a hard time with bigger boils, but it works. I use mine for the HLT.

Edit: We also have no idea of what the person was trying to boil in, the volume, and his idea of "quick."

Thanks again Dean, sounds like it's definitely worth getting the KAB5. This time I'm going to make double sure that the model provided is the one depicted. I'm assuming the KAB5 that you did not need to modify is the one that has the two opposing rocker (or sliver moon) shaped supports. Correct? BTW, the website I referred to was sales specs for customers looking for big seafood boils I recall.
<<

Dean Palmer

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 23, 2008 1:31 pm

Yeah, the KAB5 has the new rounded metal supports made of flat stock, and they hold a keggle with at least 1/2 an inch to spare out to the sides. You might be able to see it with a keggle on my site somewhere.

Good luck!
Dean

<<

brewsumore

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 23, 2008 2:24 pm

Dean Palmer wrote:Yeah, the KAB5 has the new rounded metal supports made of flat stock, and they hold a keggle with at least 1/2 an inch to spare out to the sides. You might be able to see it with a keggle on my site somewhere.

Good luck!

great website, and great extensive-quality-yet-simplified brewing/entertaining system! I bet it's sad having to part with your boat!
<<

dnb

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 23, 2008 5:56 pm

Both of those look like the same burner (150K) that is on the Bayou Classic SQ14.... but it only has a 10 psig regulator. Anybody done a comparison of the differences between those models? I'm looking at getting the SQ14 because of the stand but if 150K is too much overkill or it is hard to control the heat then I'd rather look at something else. Any input is appreciated. :)

Ahhhhhhhh! Just read Dean Palmer's post about the SQ14. :oops: When you say "bigger boils"... what do you consider bigger boils? :lol:
<<

brewsumore

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 23, 2008 6:33 pm

Could you interchange a 20 psi regulator made for the KAB5, onto the SQ 14 to increase output?
<<

Boulderbrewer

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 23, 2008 9:53 pm

I don't think that will work. SQ 14 does not have the same # of burner ports( or what ever they are called) as others. The burner ring is smaller too.
If you are not part of the solution, you're the precipitate.

well, dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians...
<<

Dean Palmer

Master Brewer

Post Sat May 24, 2008 5:40 am

You can't just add a bigger regulator to the SQ-14 because as stated, it the burner is different and doesn't have the number of holes and volume capacity. You get the BTU's from the banjo burners (KAB4/KAB5) because they have the larger burners, not so much because of the regulator.

As for what is a "bigger boil," The SQ-14 can get a full keg kettle to boil, but it takes a long time and you don't get a nice rolling boil. Now keep in mind that a keg kettle being single-layer stainless is very inefficient, and a typical full-boil for an all-grain 10 gallon batch starts at ~14 gallons in my situation. 5 gallon batch sizes are no problem for the SQ-14. Also, if someone was using a better quality stainless kettle with a layered/sandwich bottom, it wold be more efficient and the SQ-14 might be fine for the big batches.

Right now my KAB units are used for the MLT (for even heating) and the boil for the high power. The HLT uses the SQ-14 because it gets the water hot by the time I need it, and that amount is usually ~8 gallons, and ~180f for the sparge.
Dean

<<

Geronimo

Master Brewer

Post Sat May 24, 2008 6:22 am

The KAB5 seems to be discontinued. What's up with that?
-- Jim
home brewing in Minnesota
<<

Dean Palmer

Master Brewer

Post Sat May 24, 2008 8:57 pm

Geronimo wrote:The KAB5 seems to be discontinued. What's up with that?

Strange, just checked the Bayou Classic site and they are listing the KAB4 again. I wonder if they are clearing through old stock, or cannot get the newer versions made as they wanted. Hopefully we find out what happened. Some folks are saying that they are receiving the KAB4 instead of the KAB5 from numerous sources, so I really wonder what the deal is. Looks like a call to Bayou Classic is in order for Tuesday! 8)
Dean

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing