Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

does anyone have a michelob ultra clone recipe

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

cothran

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:29 am

does anyone have a michelob ultra clone recipe

the wife loves the stuff and I would like to make a batch for her.
<<

twoodward15

Master Brewer

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:32 am

It's cheaper to buy it then it would be to make it!!!! Unfortunately I'd bet it would be very difficult to get a close clone.
<<

cothran

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:52 am

yea, I know, but since I keg my stuff she wants some on tap.
<<

Howie22

Master Brewer

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:49 am

For something like that, you probably need a couple pounds of two row, several pounds of rice, an incredibly small amount of hops, and a HUGE pitch of the Anheuser Busch yeast from White Labs.

I'd suspect you'd also need to use something like beano to break down extra enzymes in the beer for the yeast to convert. Since that's a "low carb" beer, there's basically NOTHING in it.

I'd buy her a keg.
"The sound of the weather is heaven's ragtime band." - Buffett
<<

majorvices

Master Brewer

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:12 am

If your wife likes really light beers try to steer her towards a Kolsch or Golden Ale, or cream ale, or something similiar. For an Amrican Standard light beer you are going to have to do several things 1) Control fermentation temps at around 48 degrees 2) Lager at close to 32 degrees. 3) Hold about a 3 or 4 hour mash at around 145 degrees 4) possible understand how to use enzymes to break the beer down further.

If you really want a recipe that is like having sex in a canoe (f-ing close to water) that is pretty easy to make I have one I like. It's light, but not quite a Lite Beer per se. If you want it even lighter scrub the crytsal. This is as close as I can get to a BMC style beer without using a lger yeast. It's pretty good, IMO.

Alabama SunShine

6 gallons
OG 1.050 - 1.052
IBU 30

8lbs Briess 2Row
1.5lbs unbleached, yellow corn grits
1.5 oz Rye Malt
10oz Crystal 10L

.5 Magnun (14AA) @ 60 min
.5 Vanguard (4.9 aa) 30 min
.5 Crystal 2 min

US-05

Cereal mash on the grits or sub Flaked Maize. Single infusion at 152 for 60 min. 60 min boil. Pitch at 55 degrees and ferment high 50s for 3 days and raise temp to high 60s over next 3 or 4 days.

Lager 1-2 weeks with gelatain for clearing.

Alternative Hopping Shhedule for a little more interesting hop character

34 IBUs

.75oz Centennial (60 min) 9.5 aa
.5oz Centennial (20 min) 9.5 aa
.5oz Crystal (0 min)
- Keith Y.
-------------------------
Ein Prosit, der gemutlichkeit!
<<

Howie22

Master Brewer

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:30 am

You could always brew a standard american lager or cream ale and then dilute with water before kegging. Quite literally, you would water it down.

This is actually a viable option, and I believe the big breweries do it. There was an article in BYO about it some time ago.
"The sound of the weather is heaven's ragtime band." - Buffett
<<

djmd

Master Brewer

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:31 pm

I was gonna say this:

5 gallons

3lb Briess two-row
1 19%AA hop pellet

:)

j/k

Good luck brewing a super low gravity beer. They are definitely on the difficult end of the scale on a homebrewer level! No disrespect! If I was married I would do the same thing. Hopefully I marry a chick who loves IPA. :)
<<

jsbeerme

Master Brewer

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:40 pm

Mic Ultra Recipe
by the pint....

*Mix*
12oz. of carbonated water
1oz. Light Vodka
.125oz. Extra Light Pilsner Malt Extract
*Next....*
Place an opened bag of noble varitey hops next to the glass for 5 mintues, it will absorb all hop flavor/aroma you will need and you will still be able to use the hops in another brew.... Hey were in a shortage here :wink:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.... :D
Last edited by jsbeerme on Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
Pic's: http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u87/jsbeerme/
Brewday Slideshow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Ytei3LuCQ
<<

Weazletoe

Master Brewer

Location: Name's Barry. Three Taverns Brewery "It ain't ideal, but it doesn't suck" Warren, Ohio

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:10 pm

Major, you just answered my next post. I was wanting to make a batch of "swill", no offense. What is a cereal mash?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.
<<

narcout

Master Brewer

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:25 pm

This is a good article on how to brew a light American pilsner, it's got a few recipes and covers some of the important techniques:

http://byo.com/departments/1583.html

I've never tried to brew one but someday I'll get around to it...
<<

talkingseagull

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:12 pm

I think you will have a very hard time imitating Mich Ultra (ie impossible)..especially with extracts. Just MHO.
I love the smell of Star San in the morning.

Drinkin' - Copper Hopper, Maris Otter IPA, 1111 IPA, Cab, Chardonnay, Amarone.
Carboy (and blowin' hard!) - Denny's Rye IPA
<<

majorvices

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Weazletoe wrote:Major, you just answered my next post. I was wanting to make a batch of "swill", no offense. What is a cereal mash?

None taken - my buddy (who is a huge beer snob) totally makes fun of this beer. But I like a pedestrian beer from time to time - especially during the summer.

Anyway, a cereal mash is simply boiling the corn or rice (or whatever adjunct you are using) for 20-30 min to gelatinize the starches so that the enzymes can break them down. You can add in a couple handfulls of crushed grain to keep the grits from clumping. Or just use flaked maize - it's probably the same and you just add it to the mash. It's a good, light recipe - the cheapest brew I make and super easy to brew. The rye gives it just a touch of spiciness. I also have been subbing out some of the 2Row with Briess Pilsner malt.
- Keith Y.
-------------------------
Ein Prosit, der gemutlichkeit!
<<

donzo

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:10 pm

Keith,
Can we use something other than gelatin to clear? I would lie to keep this vegan. Maybe longer lagering?
Don
<<

Weazletoe

Master Brewer

Location: Name's Barry. Three Taverns Brewery "It ain't ideal, but it doesn't suck" Warren, Ohio

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:14 pm

I forgot about this recipe. I'm gonna try and do a double brew this Saturday. Sorry to be so anal about this cereal mash, but when I boil, how much water do i use, Do I boil it with the entire amount of strike water, then cool to my mash temp, then add the balance of the grain bill? Or do boil with a couple qts. drain and add the corn to the mash? Thanks!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.
<<

drf255

Master Brewer

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:05 am

Brewing it to a higher gravity, then diluting it really works to approximate the character of these beers. The Colby artical in BYO stated that Bud was brewed this way. I've done a light lager for 2 summers in a row this way, and the BMCers loved it. The only downside is needing a big pitch of yeast to ferment a 1065 lager, but you'll get 15 gallons of beer from a 10 gallon recipe. I've brewed them straight in the past, but for some reason, this approximates the flavor (or lack thereof) more IMO.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Next

Return to Beer Recipe Exchange