– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Carbonating Cider

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Brett3rThanU

Master Brewer

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Carbonating Cider

I'm just about to bottle my first batch of cider and want to carbonate it, how much of what should I use to prime for 2.5 gallons? What's best for priming Cider, can I use brown sugar or plain table sugar? If so, how much for 2.5 gallons? I'm also thinking about tossing in 1/4 cup of Splenda to give it a little sweetness, it's rather dry right now.
<<

Denny

Master Brewer

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:09 am

I use 1 oz. of sugar per gal. of cider. There's really no advantage to using brown sugar, but either it or table sugar will work fine.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is.

www.dennybrew.com
<<

CoffeeWoman

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:42 am

This question interests me as well. I've seen priming drops that look like old-fashioned hard candy. Supposedly, putting one or two in the bottle when filling will carbonate what's inside? Would this actually work, or is it just for beer?
<<

Myaj

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:47 am

You can carbonate cider the same way you'd carbonate beer.

I generally don't use sugar though, I like to dump in a can of thawed out, frozen 100% apple juice concentrate. One can is enough to carbonate a 5 gallon batch just about right.
<<

pik5el

Brewer

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:29 pm

Myaj wrote:I generally don't use sugar though, I like to dump in a can of thawed out, frozen 100% apple juice concentrate. One can is enough to carbonate a 5 gallon batch just about right.

+1 on that. The concentrate will give you a little bit more apple flavor, which is never a bad thing. I personally keg, but this is how I used to do it.
Also, I never liked using splenda. I thought it gave a terribly artificial aftertaste to the cider. I would suggest either using Lactose or Stevia. Lactose can easily be found at any local homebrew shop, or failing that in a health food store. Stevia can also be found in health food stores, and is very cheap online. Be careful with the stevia though, test before you sweeten a whole batch, it can be strong stuff!
Primary1: NB Three Hearted
Primary2: Sweet Stout
Tap 1: Basic Cider
Tap 2: Standard Bitter
<<

jwhite751

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:12 pm

In defense of using Splenda, I have used it in 5 cider batches now and would not hesitate to use it again. I have detected no aftertaste in any batches. I have researched Splenda and found that many English cider makers use it and I found it to be stable after over a year in the bottle with no degradation in sweetness.
<<

MisterV

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:23 pm

CoffeeWoman wrote:This question interests me as well. I've seen priming drops that look like old-fashioned hard candy. Supposedly, putting one or two in the bottle when filling will carbonate what's inside? Would this actually work, or is it just for beer?

You can use coopers tablets, but it's a bit of a waste since they require two for each bottle, so it increases the overhead cost of the batch. I just use corn sugar, let it sit bottled for a couple weeks and enjoy.
<<

ew1usnrr

Master Brewer

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:44 am

Carbonating Cider

"You can use coopers tablets, but ... they require two for each bottle"

Bingo! You are correct. I've been using the Coopers tabs and have been disappointed with the carbonation level. Measures of priming sugar that are recommended for beer might not be appropriate for cider. Cider is thinner than beer and less subject to foaming so it can take a higher level of carbonation.

A couple of days ago I started an experiment to find the right priming amount. To 12 oz bottles of newly fermented cider I added: 1/2 teaspoon, 3/4 tspn. and 1 tspn of sugar, and 1 Coopers tablet and 2 Coopers tablets.

In two weeks I write back and say which seemed to work the best.
<<

JonahB52

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Carbonating Cider

Noooooooo! I need to know NOW! It's been more than two weeks!
<<

UncleSean

Master Brewer

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:21 am

JonahB52 wrote:Noooooooo! I need to know NOW! It's been more than two weeks!

+1 me too. Actually I just want to find out his results, I just might send a PM over that way. I think im going to stick with the frozen apple juice concentrate. I actually just whipped my cider up last night. 5 gal apple juice, 1+ qt raspberries (frozen), 1lb brown sugar, Champagne yeast Og 1.053, I wanted a little higher, next time maybe ill do 2lb brown sugar, but no big deal its my first one. Im also thinking of racking off about 1gal when I rack to secondary in a few months and add some cinnamon and raisins, see how that turns out.
P: Belgian Ale
S: Empty
K: 1)Quick Pick IPA, 2)RIS, 3)House IPA
<<

akr71

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:57 am

Has anyone tried priming with apple juice or unfermented cider?

I have a batch I plan on bottling tonight. I was thinking of splitting it 3 ways - unprimed/primed with table sugar/ primed with juice (with no preservatives). Any ideas?

Also, I was thinking of repitching yeast to the primed batches - maybe even all 3. 2 weeks ago (last time I took the gravity) the SG was about 1.001. It tastes great, but I'm hoping for a touch more sparkling. Maybe the extra yeast is overkill - I don't want bottle bombs!
Andy

Barney: Hey, Homer, I'm worried about the beer supply. After this case, and the other case, there's only one case left.
<<

bluesman

Master Brewer

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:29 am

I'm planning to force carb in the keg then use my Blichmann Beer Gun to bottle.
Ron Price

Primary:empty
Secondary:2011 Boxwood Barleywine
Kegged:Munich Helles,VBIP,Harvest IPA,Lucy's Harvest Cider,French Saison,DIPA,Ron's Woody RIS, DE Dubbel,Dominator Dopplebock, Spangler Ofest, Earl's ESB
On deck:Madbrewer's Oaked Black Rye IPA

Return to Cider