Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Belgian Pale Malt in Non Belgian Styles?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

ronhocker

Master Brewer

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:44 pm

Belgian Pale Malt in Non Belgian Styles?

I brew just enough to use up a 50lb sack of base malt every 10-12 months or so. I currently have a sack of Briess 2-row that is nearing its end and I'm looking to restock.

In my tasting of raw malts, I like the Belgian Pale flavor the best. I can't comment if this means I would like it better following mashing and fermentation.

I brew a variety of beers, but 80% are american style Ales, half of which being different IPAs I'm experimenting with.

Since I don't brew enough to carry two sacks on hand, would it be wierd to brew everything from oatmeal stouts to American IPAs with a belgian pale malt? My instincts tell me if anything they will taste better than with the Briess for my tastes.
<<

yddraig

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:36 am

Shouldn't hurt anything. Use what malts YOU like best, it's your beer.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons,
for you are crunchy and good with Home Brew.

On tap: Dragon's Blood Wee Heavy OG 1.085, FG 1.018 ABV 8.91 :)
Primary: None :(
Secondary: None :(
Conditioning: None :(
<<

Jeff Meyers

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:47 am

What lovibond is your current stock? If you are looking into Dingemans Belgian Pale Ale malt (3.5 L) it is very "biscuity" compared to a lighter 2 row pale malt.

Also....at the lower end of the Lovibond scale.....there is a massive difference in color. A 1.9L base grain will make a SIGNIFICANTLY lighter colored beer than a 3.5L Pale Ale malt.

My club did an experiment with base grains. We made four different base grain only beers. Mashed at 155 for 1.055 OG bittered at 19 IBU's with N. Brewer 60 min. addition all fermented with US 56.

We did:

English 2 row pale
Briess 2 row pale
Marris Otter
Belgian Pale Ale

Generally, "flavor" increased as you moved down the list I put above. There were subtle differences in all of them. The English and American 2 row pale were nearly indistiguishable except the american had a slight "grainy" flavor.
<<

dsiets

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:11 pm

What about using Belgian Pilsner (1.6L)? I just started on a new bag w/ the intent of using it for Tripels, but was wondering what would happen if I used it for Pale Ales, Or Porters, etc. 1.6L is not that far off from some Pale malts.
<<

ronhocker

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:58 pm

My current stuff is 1.8L. That's a good point that going with a belgian pale at 3.2L would make a much darker beer. I generally don't care that much about the color, and I don't brew anything lighter than amber (at least yet). The Belgian Pils is an option, although I bet I won't think that has a strong enough flavor.

Thanks for your test results, that's good data.

Return to All Grain Brewing