Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Homemade Grain Mills - Designs and Photos

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

kuhnca99

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:10 pm

Homemade Grain Mills - Designs and Photos

Last edited by kuhnca99 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

MixnMatchBrew

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:33 pm

Roller - prototype one - things I learned. Its hard to find a center point. Geometry is your friend :)
Using lid to center shaft
Cement poured to 4 inch

Yeah surface is a bit bumpy in there. I'll patch it smooth.

UPDATE: Pulled cansister off and well it not very good. Gonna trash it and pour another one. Too lumpy on the ends. Good thing its only concrete :)
Last edited by MixnMatchBrew on Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Tomthebrewer

Master Brewer

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:35 pm

Can you guys post some dimensions or blueprints/plans for these?
<<

MixnMatchBrew

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:37 pm

I'm going by the seat of my pants at the moment.

My roller is 5" diameter and 4" wide so the rest will follow that. I have an idea in my head for adjusting the gap but don't know if it will work yet. I'll post pics as I figure and post measurements. No drawing though sorry.

EDIT: Use pipe or thick cardboard tubing for the cast. PVC would work ok I think over a short length though it does have some variance in size. You will have to cut it off too. This thin cannister has too much flex and I'm afraid it will lead to wobbles. We'll see.
<<

kuhnca99

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:25 pm

Tomthebrewer wrote:Can you guys post some dimensions or blueprints/plans for these?

If you look through the pictures, you can see how I made the rollers....
Now making the box frame, basically make two sides with identical holes. Insert bronze bushing into holes for the metal shafts to ride on.

The second roller, shown in the picture below, rides on a bushing in the outer block and the shaft goes through an elongated hole in the inner piece. And the bolts snug it into place.

Design flaw can be seen by the bolts rubbing against the roller... oh well, I was winging it.

<<

johnplctech

Master Brewer

Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:24 am

It seems to me the biggest hurdle for concrete roller makers is getting a sutible form to cast the roller in.

This photo from kuhnca99 shows what I see as the best setup for casting round rollers so far. That form looks like the center from roll vinyl or something like that...

John
Tun Scraper
Duck Butt Brewing
My Home Pages
<<

johnplctech

Master Brewer

Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:29 am

kuhnca99 wrote:Design flaw can be seen by the bolts rubbing against the roller... oh well, I was winging it.

For "winging it" you did real good. Did you consider making some offset wooden washers for your adjustable roller? What I mean is if you cut say a 3" diameter hole in the side and made a 3" diameter washer with the hole for the bearing a little off center then put a cap on the washer with some 1/4 or something and use that to attach it to your main frame...

John
Tun Scraper
Duck Butt Brewing
My Home Pages
<<

MixnMatchBrew

Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:25 am

johnplctech wrote:It seems to me the biggest hurdle for concrete roller makers is getting a sutible form to cast the roller in.

This photo from kuhnca99 shows what I see as the best setup for casting round rollers so far. That form looks like the center from roll vinyl or something like that...

John

Yup this is the hard part. I'm going to lowes today to get some PVC pipe. Or maybe one of the local houses being built to look for some scrap.
<<

kuhnca99

Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:13 am

What I used was the empty paper roll from a large-format printer here at work.. It is basically a really thick empty paper towel roll.... The good thing about it is that when the concret is dry, you simply peel it away and don't have to cut anything.

Look for mailing supplies for transporting posters, etc...

Lowes has the large, 2ft diameter concrete forms used for construction which is similar to this paper roll, maybe they have something smaller.

This is the best I can do with coming up with some drawings.....
<<

kuhnca99

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:05 am

One other point to make. Try to leave as small of a gap as possible between the housing and the rollers, so grains can't sneak by uncracked.
<<

JohanD

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:50 am

Wow!

I already have a mill, but I'll definitely try to make one of these... just beacuse it looks so impressive! I'm thinking 3 roller here :lol:
<<

MixnMatchBrew

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:47 am

Well like I updated above my oatmeal cannister did not work out. I had to break up that roller.

I've made a mold and been as careful as possible. I'm making a mold so I can pour multiple rollers if it works out. That and I like to make things too complicated it seems :)
I'll post some pic soon.

UPDATE: If this second roller prototype fails I'm going to get some mailing tubes at staples I think. They have the 3" Tubes for under $2.00

Hate to buy it but I need something sturdy like that heavy roll.
Last edited by MixnMatchBrew on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Tomthebrewer

Master Brewer

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:50 pm

Awesome pics! Thanks!
<<

JohanD

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:29 pm

kuhnca99 wrote:This is the best I can do with coming up with some drawings.....

A few questions:

Did you add any sand to the cement?
If so, how much and how coarse?
<<

kuhnca99

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:03 pm

JohanD wrote:
kuhnca99 wrote:This is the best I can do with coming up with some drawings.....

A few questions:

Did you add any sand to the cement?
If so, how much and how coarse?

Used straight quick drying cement, no sand.... Not sure what sand would do for you.
Next

Return to All Grain Brewing