– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Welches Concord Grape concentrate wine

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

der BrewMonster

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:42 pm

Welches Concord Grape concentrate wine

I've just started brewing beer (3 batches so far) and a batch of mead and decided to experiment in winemaking, and I wanted to do it cheap. Using a 1 1/2 gallon plastic pail as a primary fermenter and a 1 gallon glass jug as a secondary fermenter (about $4 each), I made my first batch of wine. I dissolved 1 3/4 cups of white sugar in 1 quart of hot water and let it cool. I then mixed 3 cans of Welches Concord Grape concentrate (89 cents each) and 1 tsp of yeast nutrient with with 1/2 gallon of cool water in the plastic pail. I then mixed the sugar solution with the concentrate and topped it off at 1 gallon. I took a reading and added some white sugar, a little too much. I was looking for 1.095 and ended up with 1.104 instead. I read somewhere that 1 lb or 2 1/4 cups of white sugar add .045 to the gravity. Lastly, I added 71B-1122 Narbonne rehydrated yeast to the must and put the lid and airlock on. After 3 days I had no activity so I gave it a stir and off it went. I racked to the secondary after 2 weeks with 1/3 cup of untoasted American oak chips and 1 tsp of acid blend. The gravity was already .995 (about 16.5% alcohol) and it burned a little going down my throat when I sampled the reading. I'm going to let it sit for 3 months before bottling. Hopefully it will be wine instead of a Concord grape liquer. I'll keep those interested in the loop and if anyone has their own experiences with grocery store concentrate, put up a post. My next batch will be rhubarb/strawberry wine, thanks to all the rhubarb growing at my new house.
<<

johnplctech

Master Brewer

Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:49 am

Re: Welches Concord Grape concentrate wine

der BrewMonster wrote:Lastly, I added 71B-1122 Narbonne rehydrated yeast to the must and put the lid and airlock on. After 3 days I had no activity so I gave it a stir and off it went. I racked to the secondary after 2 weeks with 1/3 cup of untoasted American oak chips and 1 tsp of acid blend. The gravity was already .995 (about 16.5% alcohol) and it burned a little going down my throat when I sampled the reading. I'm going to let it sit for 3 months before bottling. Hopefully it will be wine instead of a Concord grape liquer.

I make wine from Welch's concentrates all the time. I usually use some of my starter for a 5 gallon batch to fire it off.

2 cans Welch's Grape
1 lb sugar
water to make a little over a gallon
1/2 tea acid blend
1 tea yeast nutrient
1/8 tea grape tannin
Montrachet yeast

ferment in a warm place about 70° - 75° first week cover with cloth
1 week rack into a gallon bottle put under air lock
2 monts rack again drink when clear

good luck
Tun Scraper
Duck Butt Brewing
My Home Pages
<<

barleypopmaker

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:13 am

johnplctech wrote:
der BrewMonster wrote:Lastly, I added 71B-1122 Narbonne rehydrated yeast to the must and put the lid and airlock on. After 3 days I had no activity so I gave it a stir and off it went. I racked to the secondary after 2 weeks with 1/3 cup of untoasted American oak chips and 1 tsp of acid blend. The gravity was already .995 (about 16.5% alcohol) and it burned a little going down my throat when I sampled the reading. I'm going to let it sit for 3 months before bottling. Hopefully it will be wine instead of a Concord grape liquer.

I make wine from Welch's concentrates all the time. I usually use some of my starter for a 5 gallon batch to fire it off.

2 cans Welch's Grape
1 lb sugar
water to make a little over a gallon
1/2 tea acid blend
1 tea yeast nutrient
1/8 tea grape tannin
Montrachet yeast

ferment in a warm place about 70° - 75° first week cover with cloth
1 week rack into a gallon bottle put under air lock
2 monts rack again drink when clear

good luck

I have never made wine before and I think I am going to give this a try before I drop 70+ dollars on a wine kit. First a few questions on the recipe.
1. What type of sugar do I use? Just table sugar?
2. Is there any boiling involved?
3. Do I just add all the ingredients at once mix then ferment?

Thanks for the help.
<<

der BrewMonster

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:26 am

1. I used plain old white table sugar. Nothing fancy.
2. I actually boiled some water before I dissolved the sugar, but it took so long to cool off I figured it was a waste of time, so that is why I left it off my directions. Just use hot tap water to dissolve the sugar in.
3. Mix everything together, except the oak chips and citric acid blend, before pitching the yeast. The oak and acid are added in the secondary fermentation. I read somewhere that acid blend would inhibit or slow down the primary fermentation. In the mead recipe I am following, the acid blend was added at secondary. Do a forum search for "Welches"; I got a lot of good advice and ideas from that topic.
<<

Denny

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:50 am

barleypopmaker wrote:I have never made wine before and I think I am going to give this a try before I drop 70+ dollars on a wine kit.

My advice woul;d be that if you like wine, buy the kit and spend MORE than $70 on it! The quality of the wine you make is directly related to the quality of the ingredients you use. I made a $95 Selection Pinot Grigio kit recently and it's fantastic! Ends up costing about $3 or so per bottle for a wine that would easily go for $12-15 in a store..
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is.

www.dennybrew.com
<<

barleypopmaker

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:21 pm

Denny wrote:
barleypopmaker wrote:I have never made wine before and I think I am going to give this a try before I drop 70+ dollars on a wine kit.

My advice woul;d be that if you like wine, buy the kit and spend MORE than $70 on it! The quality of the wine you make is directly related to the quality of the ingredients you use. I made a $95 Selection Pinot Grigio kit recently and it's fantastic! Ends up costing about $3 or so per bottle for a wine that would easily go for $12-15 in a store..

I will defiantly be going with one of the kits. And I was actually looking at the Selection kits. But before I drop that chunk of change I just wanted to try this out. I do know that it will not be the same, or even close. But it seemed that the more I looked into it, the wine making process was a little different than the beer, and I want to do a cheap dry run. All the racking and the stabilizing and such freaked me out from jumping right into a $100 wine kit. But like you said, you get what you pay for. The Welch's wines I have heard are drinkable, but not a fine wine for sure and I don't expect it to be. It would be easier if it was a beer starter kit than I would only be out about $25 or so, I jumped right into that. Thanks again for the advise.
<<

Denny

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:24 pm

Making wine from a kit is so easy, it feels like cheating! It's even easier than making beer from extract. I say dive right in! The biggest tip I got from the owner of the LHBS, who makes a lot of great wine, is don't use water to top up the fermenters...use the same type of wine as you're making.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is.

www.dennybrew.com
<<

der BrewMonster

Master Brewer

Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:54 am

Well I opened a bottle of the Concord wine on Thanksgiving,and thanks to my uncle, the bottle was empty in no time. It was fairly sweet, very strong (what's that buzzing in my head), and had really good color. It looked like a glass of Deer Garden Blush from Winehaven in Chisago City that my mom was drinking. 4 bottles and a few hangovers to go...
<<

nicneufeld

Master Brewer

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:47 pm

I'm thinking of doing something similar...although I'd like to minimize the amount of water and table sugar in it...maybe white grape juice and white grape juice concentrate...a little bit of yeast nutrient, and montrachet? Something basic and cheap. I'm not "into" wine at all, really, so to be honest I would never buy a kit. But I might make a sparkling cheap white wine with the welches stuff. Should I go the concentrate/sugar/water route, or the juice/concentrate route? If the sugar content was anything like that of apple juice, I'm thinking something like this:

10 cans white grape juice concentrate
4 gallons white grape juice

Should yield around 5 gallons, perhaps an OG of 1.080 or 1.090? It's probably cheaper just to buy off-brand red grape juice, too. Any comments on how to do this inexpensively? Should I just go the cheap route with sugar? My estimates would be 10 cans plus 6-7 lbs of sugar, for that. (I'd rather do a 5 gallon batch).
"For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie
<<

chevee

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:44 pm

nicneufeld wrote:I'm thinking of doing something similar...although I'd like to minimize the amount of water and table sugar in it...maybe white grape juice and white grape juice concentrate...a little bit of yeast nutrient, and montrachet? Something basic and cheap. I'm not "into" wine at all, really, so to be honest I would never buy a kit. But I might make a sparkling cheap white wine with the welches stuff. Should I go the concentrate/sugar/water route, or the juice/concentrate route? If the sugar content was anything like that of apple juice, I'm thinking something like this:

10 cans white grape juice concentrate
4 gallons white grape juice

Should yield around 5 gallons, perhaps an OG of 1.080 or 1.090? It's probably cheaper just to buy off-brand red grape juice, too. Any comments on how to do this inexpensively? Should I just go the cheap route with sugar? My estimates would be 10 cans plus 6-7 lbs of sugar, for that. (I'd rather do a 5 gallon batch).

I make a lot of "Welch's Wine," usually in 1 gallon batches. I've tried 1 gal of juice with 1 tube of concentrate... but honestly, I haven't noticed any improvement over 2 cans of concentrate, with water and 1 lb sugar. It's such a simple white (or blush) that the extra juice and concentrate really doesn't bring any complexity to the table.

Grape juice is higher in sugar content than apple... but I don't have a hydrometer to give you readings with.

Also, I use Premier Cuvee for all my Welch's wine. It's fast, low foaming, and doesn't impart any yeasty flavors. The wine is so simple that I've noticed off flavors with other yeasts... so any of the "Prise de Mousse" should work.

Recently I've switched over to Wal-Mart brand juice because it's so much cheaper and haven't noticed any difference in the wines.

I will tell you though that 10 cans of concentrate and 6-7 lbs of sugar will produce a VERY sweet wine... that will be drinkable in 4 weeks and will taste very much like grape juice with a shot of vodka in it. If you want to cut back on the sweetness, 5 cans of concentrate and 5 lbs of sugar will produce a dry wine.... 10 cans of concentrate and 5 lbs of sugar will produce a semi-sweet.

I make about 5-10 gallons of this wine a month and give it away. I've never had complaints... in fact most people bug me for a bottle from the next batch.

Chevee
<<

nicneufeld

Master Brewer

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:50 pm

Alright...well I'll definately back off some sugar...5 lbs is probably plenty, maybe still around 8-10 or so cans of concentrate. I don't have acid blend on hand, and am far too lazy to go buy some for this (no really local lhbs). Do you think spiking with some lemon or lime juice in secondary could do the trick?

This sounds like a fun experiment. I have montrachet and D47 on hand...one for this, and one for a parsnip wine (yeah, that's crazy, I know). What do you recommend I use for this one?
"For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie
<<

chevee

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:51 am

nicneufeld wrote: I don't have acid blend on hand, and am far too lazy to go buy some for this (no really local lhbs). Do you think spiking with some lemon or lime juice in secondary could do the trick?

This sounds like a fun experiment. I have montrachet and D47 on hand...one for this, and one for a parsnip wine (yeah, that's crazy, I know). What do you recommend I use for this one?

I'm far to lazy to add anything to my Welch's Wine. If you want to play with acid, I think lemon/lime juice would serve the purpose just fine.

I'd use the Montrachet if you are going with juice/water/sugar. It's pretty neutral.

If you're going to play with acid levels, I'd use the D47. It'll give you a better mouthfeel with the acid in there.

Chevee
<<

nicneufeld

Master Brewer

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:18 am

Great! This will give me a pretty cheap way to get a new brew going.
<<

chevee

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:56 am

nicneufeld wrote:Great! This will give me a pretty cheap way to get a new brew going.

That's it EXACTLY!
I now have about 30 1 gallon jugs, so I brew this stuff all the time. Total investment is about $3/gallon or $.75/750ml. It's my "give away" wine. The end product is VERY drinkable and I get BEGGED for it all the time. This is the cheapest, simplest brew I make, and also the most popular by far! :)

By the way, I primary for 1 week, secondary for 3-4 and bottle without sulfites for immediate consumption. I tell people that if they aren't going to drink it immediatly, keep it in the fridge... that way there shouldn't be any bottle bombs. :P

Chevee
<<

Flatswitch

Post Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:03 pm

I recently made a Welches grape wine, and so far so good.
I used two cans of concentrate and dissolved two cups of white table sugar in there, added yeast nutrient and topped it off. I let it spend a week in the primary with a cloth on top, then put an airlock on for a day or two. After that, I racked to a secondary and added some acid blend. When I racked I took a hydrometer reading and it was around 1.022, the OG was 1.073. The sample tasted alright, a tiny bit dry, but I was planning on adding a small amount of concentrate when it came time to bottle anyway. I suppose I could have left it in the primary for a little bit longer, but I was expecting to leave town a few days after I racked it. I also could have added a little more sugar to bring the OG up but meh, this was an experiment :P

I'm going to let this one age for awhile since I won't be back in the midwest until after winter. Hopefully it will turn out pretty nice with a little bit of aging behind it.

Next

Return to Wine Recipe Exchange