Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

New design pgs 9&11 for DIY 5L mini keg taps (Lots of Pics)

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

stl

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:05 am

Re: New design pgs 9&11 for DIY 5L mini keg taps (Lots of Pics)

Hi all,

I love your work... being able to take one of these things and hook it up to a normal draft system would be great. So I had a bit of an idea to bounce off you -- but it may be completely stupid (I'm a total kegging n00b).

Since the tap bung is apparently the same diameter, can't you use just push a barbed fitting with a Cornelius plug adapter and beer out post through there? (Obviously using a spare rubber bung instead of the supplied tap..)

That would greatly simplify things.. you'd just have a barb+adapter+post combo shoved in at the top and bottom for gas in and beer out respectively.

Am I missing something?

cheers,
Steven
<<

Breault720

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:11 pm

SiouxerBrewer:
I'm interested in adding the the design with the ball lock QDs to my existing kegerator. Does the restrictive steel tubing still allow you hook in in your normal system, in place of a regular corny? I run my system at 12 PSI with 5' of beer line before my taps, and it is balanced. Am I to assume that I wouldn't be able to just substitute a 5L keg in place of a 5G keg? Is there a way to reduce the resistance so that 5" of tubing would still work? Thanks in advance for your time (and creativity).
<<

killsurfcity

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:24 am

this is an amazing project, kudos!

i'm ordering all the parts now. unfortunately the 1/4 MFL from midwest is out of stock, can someone help me verify, that this is a suitable substitute? thanks!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#flared-tube-fittings/=evfhwp
<<

killsurfcity

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:16 am

Meant to link to this part as the replacement for the 1/4 MFL, which is correct.

Just waiting on all my parts now. Can't wait to put this together!
<<

a17adams

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:23 pm

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5270/560 ... 2e03d2.jpg

what is the piece you used to connect the elbow joint to the mini keg?
I'm very new to this and am interested in building one so also where did you get the mini kegs and can you get the mini kegs just filled like a normal keg?
<<

Aggiemaster

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:35 am

Let me start out by saying great build and detail. I spent quite a bit of time reading all 13 pages of this thread and im considering building a couple of these things.

After reading all the pages I only saw a couple brief mentions about the pressure this thing could hold though. Can these mini-kegs be used to force carbonate your beer or is it just for dispensing?

I don't have room for a kegging setup currently, but am really wanting to force carb some batches to eliminate the 14 day waiting time for natural carbonation.

Thanks in advance for any of your experience force carbonating with this setup!
<<

Frosty

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Aggiemaster wrote:Can these mini-kegs be used to force carbonate your beer or is it just for dispensing?

I made one of these about 6 months ago and modified it slightly so I can also force carb. Mostly I'm happy with how it's working but there is one point in my force carb process that can be a littly messy...

Here's the modified tap: on the gas side in of the tap the fitting is McMaster Carr part # 8063K38 schrader valve which mates up with a 1/4 inch barbed schrader fitting into the hose.

This what I use for force carbing:

The scrader fitting is Mcmaster Carr p/n 8063K39 and the other end is one of the mini keg bungs. 1/4" ID (NB sku K025) Bevlex tubing fits into that hole in the bung perfectly. I originally glued it together with PVC cement but that did not hold for more than 5 uses, so now it's just pushed in there and hold on it's own. I'm going to redo it one of these days and I'll just use some kind of epoxy at the top of it - shouldn't be any need to worry about food safe as it won't ever come in contact with the beer if it's only on the top.

My process is after filling up the keg is connect the co2 to the keg with the force carb tube and turn the pressure up to 25-30, lay the keg on it's side and rock it back and forth for 4 minutes at about the tempo of a doubletime to Juke Box Hero by Foreigner. Don't ask me why that song, I don't even like it but it popped into my head while I was doing this one time and now it's stuck there.

After that, remove the force carb tube and replace it with a regular mini keg bung. Obviously this is the messy part since you've just been shaking it for the last 5 minutes. I do it in the sink covered with a towel and it's not that bad now I'm used to it, then just spray off the whole keg and put it away
<<

a17adams

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:38 pm

can you just fill this with already carbonated beer? like get it filled up at the store?
<<

a17adams

Post Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:01 pm

i just finished making one and i thought id share the video with you guys so if anyone wants to see a working one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9e42eXg ... ature=plcp
<<

cjackel

Post Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:49 pm

Two questions:

1. How is the parts list different if a CO2 gauge is used as shown in the picture on Page 11 ? I ask because the parts list doesn't include the C02 gauge and it appears the part might different.

2. How is the keg plug modified for this setup ? There is a picture of the plug, but no mention of how to connect the setup to the plug.

Thank you !
<<

FDL Brewer

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:05 pm

What CO2 regulator did you use for this?

thanks!
<<

kenc_zymurgy

Master Brewer

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Question on the mini-keg bungs people are buying -

Seems like Midwest is one of the few places carrying these. Do these come with a solid stopper insert (the 1/2" diameter white piece) , similar to this pic from Midwest? I have one of those in my stash, and another that is hollowed out, maybe 1/8" thick walls, but a similar hard nylon-appearing material. But I don't recall if they came from purchased mini-kegs, or from purchased replacement bungs.

Mini-Keg_BUNG_mk04.jpg
Mini-Keg_BUNG_mk04.jpg (10.37 KiB) Viewed 4603 times

I ask because I have an idea for using these plugs for a super-simple tap design. Similar in some ways to the two holed rubber-stopper design I used (see thread here) (which has been working well for me), but without the need for any hold down brackets. But I want to make sure they can be sourced before I play around with them.

On a related topic, I mentioned before that the side/bottom tap can be removed and the replacement bungs will fit in the hole just as they do the top. This makes it so much easier to inspect, clean, and dry the mini-keg (and makes possible the design approach I'm trying next). I forget just how I removed the first one (it was a mini-keg with a round looking tap insert), but I don't recall having much difficulty. I did two more recently, where they have a more rounded-triangle looking insert for the tap. They came out, but I kind of brute-forced them. So I just tried with the last one I have, (a round style spigot) - I just extended the spigot and pushed it to the side a bit and worked some keg lube into the junction and twisted it and pulled and just kept doing that all the way around. Pretty soon, it just popped out, no trouble at all. I think the triangle style would come out almost as easily with help from the keg lube. [UPDATE 18FEB2012 - Yes, the more triangular looking ones come out easily also. Just keep prying to the side and working keg-lube in, and working it around, and twisting it. I took my time to avoid bending the metal, and after a minute or two it will pop out pretty easily]

Here are some before/aft pics, and using an inspection flashlight to peer inside (you can see some plastic bits from the removal), and a pic of another mini-keg with the bung in the bottom port (hydro tested to 35 PSI).

CIMG1460-1-2b_s.JPG
CIMG1460-1-2b_s.JPG (99.72 KiB) Viewed 4558 times

CIMG1464-5a_s.JPG
CIMG1464-5a_s.JPG (59.78 KiB) Viewed 4603 times

After inspecting one old cast-off mini-keg I was given (it was sitting on their shelf), I can now see that it has a fair amount of pitting inside (it probably wasn't cleaned all that well before it was put on the shelf). I'll either use that for experiments, junk it, or maybe just try soda water to see if the pitting has any effect - maybe it's OK for plain water?

-kenc
Last edited by kenc_zymurgy on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

kenc_zymurgy

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:31 am

Frosty wrote:I made one of these about 6 months ago and modified it slightly so I can also force carb. Mostly I'm happy with how it's working but there is one point in my force carb process that can be a littly messy...

img0857o - from poster frosty s.jpg
img0857o - from poster frosty s.jpg (49.3 KiB) Viewed 4549 times

My process is after filling up the keg is connect the co2 to the keg with the force carb tube and turn the pressure up to 25-30, lay the keg on it's side and rock it back and forth for 4 minutes at about the tempo of a doubletime to Juke Box Hero by Foreigner. Don't ask me why that song, I don't even like it but it popped into my head while I was doing this one time and now it's stuck there.

After that, remove the force carb tube and replace it with a regular mini keg bung. Obviously this is the messy part since you've just been shaking it for the last 5 minutes. I do it in the sink covered with a towel and it's not that bad now I'm used to it, then just spray off the whole keg and put it away

Frosty (if you are still looking into this), there are some other ways you can make a cheap carbonation adapter so that you don't need the tap on there while it is being stored. Just get a 1/2" to 1/4" barb reducing coupler (like 5372K519 from McMaster), and then the 1/2" barb will grip the bung just like the tap design, and then that connects to your 1/4" ID hose and 1/4" barbed air stem.

I would just leave that connected while it is on the shelf. Or, if you want to free up that $10 air valve - once carb'd, chill the m-keg, slowly bleed off the head space pressure, and you should be able to pull the 1/2" coupler out and replace it with one with a plugged end (just double up the hose and clamp it, or use a 1/2" barb to 1/2" MPT adapter, and a PVC cap with teflon tape, or get a 1/4" barbed plug - lotsa options). Or just clamp the hose near the middle, cut the air valve off, and use it on the next one, replacing the hose when it gets too short.

If you want to eliminate the hose, you can go:

1/2" Barb to 1/2" MPT adapter >> << PVC 1/2" coupler>><<1/2" to 1/4"(or 1/8") reducing bushing>><<air stem with 1/4" or 1/8" MPT (tank valve)

-kenc
<<

sgw86

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:46 pm

SiouxerBrewer wrote:New ball lock design:

Hi,

The ball lock design looks absolutley genius! I am looking at making the ball lock tap that you have posted, though being a complete noob have no idea. Would it be possible for you to supply step by step instructions on the ball lock design? or should I simple follow your 1/4 design steps?

Also could you please post the parts that I will require?

I currently use the Party Star tap but have found that it leaks. How exactly does your setup work? Do I just turn the CO2 on when I need more pouring pressure?

Thanks again!

Cheers.
<<

Thirsty_Monk

Master Brewer

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:59 pm

Na Zdravie

On Tap:
Czech Dark Beer
Bohemian Pilsner

Lagering/Conditioning:
Bohemian Pilsner

In Fermenter:
Marzen
PreviousNext

Return to Draft Systems