Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

How much cider does a bushel of apples make?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

vco

Apprentice Brewer

Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:49 pm

How much cider does a bushel of apples make?

I just built my own press and will be working on something for an apple grinder but i'm just really curious home much cider you get out of a typical bushel of apples. I know it must vary by size and type and stuff but I just need an estimate before i go get some apples.
<<

LostHighway

Apprentice Brewer

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:16 am

The usual rule of thumb is three gallons per bushel but as you note it can vary considerably depending on the apples and the press.
<<

Twomey Brewery

Master Brewer

Post Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:47 pm

100lbs per 5 gallon batch is another rule of thumb I have come across.

--- Kevin
Primary: empty Secondary: empty; Bottled & Cellared: Oatmeal Stout, Cream Ale, Rye Ale
<<

KSflyfisher

Brewer

Post Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:17 pm

On our batches (our first time this year - found a press we could borrow) we didn't do bushels, but 5 gallon buckets to gather the apples. First run of yellow late summer apples was 9 buckets that yielded 10 gallons of cider. It was good.

Last weekend we ended up with 30 total gallons from three runs of the press, but didn't keep track of how many buckets. In fact, we had 4 trees to pick (shake, actually) so we picked quite a few straight into a lawn tractor cart. I'm guessing we had at least 25-30 buckets, maybe more, of Macs, Jonathans, and Arkansas Blacks.

It is bubbling nicely in 4 fermenters. Added a little malt to one 10g batch just to see if we can raise the fermentables a bit. My buddy tasted a bit when he ran SG on it the other day and said it was really good.

Can't wait to get my first taste.
Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Kegged and drinking: Perigee Full Moon Brown, Nottingham cider, NB IPA
Conditioning: Bourbon Barrel Porter, NB IPA, Souped up Stout, Perigee Full Moon Brown, Sleepy Santa Ale, Hard Cider
Soon:

Return to Cider