– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Recipes using orange blossom honey

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Vista

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:07 am

Recipes using orange blossom honey

I have 15 lbs of orange blossom honey. this is my first batch of mead and i'm hoping to get some diversity out of a 5 gallon batch. i am hoping to do about a month fermentation in my glass carboy, and then split the 5 gallon into 1 gallon juggies. i was wondering what people recommended for spices, or juices, that would go well with orange blossom honey. i'm planning on leaving 2 gallons as just regular mead. so really i have 3 different gallons to play around with. i was thinking a cinnamon one, white grape juice gallon, and like a lemon zinger tea bag steep in the third.

thanks for the feedback. i'm not going to be doing this until march so i'm not pressing on time.
Take it easy...
<<

wayneb

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:29 am

Re: Recipes using orange blossom honey

I personally like what "Holiday spices" do in an orange blossom metheglin. I do a recipe with the "traditional mix" of cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and allspice and in order to give it a fall holiday flavor I also add some juniper berries to the mix.

OB honey also pairs well with citrus in a semi-sweet to sweet melomel. I typically add most of my fruit in primary, though, so I don't feel qualified to advise you much about what to do with a strictly secondary addition. Stick with oranges and tangerines; other citrus (lemon, grapefruit, tangelo) tend to add far too much acidity, rendering the result mouth puckeringly tart.
Wayne B.
<<

Vista

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:46 am

see, i hate this, it's so hard to make a decision. i was just checking out some of the NB recipes and just looking at them made me think that OB honey would go great with some cab sauvignon juice. Cab sauv has that great citrusy flavor which would probably go well with OB. whatever i end up making it'll go down in the indecisiveness history books...
Take it easy...
<<

wayneb

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:01 pm

Oooh! I've never tried that before, but it does sound potentally VERY GOOD.

Decisions, decisions.... :wink:
Wayne B.
<<

Vista

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:47 pm

maybe i should just rephrase this whole topic. i have a bunch of orange blossom honey. this is my first batch. i don't want to do a straight up mead. what would people recommend as a recipe using orange blossom?
Take it easy...
<<

wayneb

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:05 pm

Back to my first reply. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and juniper. Determine initial gravity based on yeast selected and the desired final sweetness -- I'd allow it to finish semi-sweet (around 1.012 final gravity). For a 5 gallon batch, I'd use 2 long cinnamon sticks (the 4" ones), 10 allspice corns (cracked), 1 whole nutmeg (cracked), and between 24 and 32 juniper berries (cracked-mashed). For a single gallon test batch, just divide quantities by 5 (as best as you can). I like this one even better as a cyser, where the water in the must is replaced by no preservative added apple juice.
Wayne B.
<<

Vista

Master Brewer

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:14 pm

where would i get this no preservative added apple juice :-)
Take it easy...
<<

wayneb

Master Brewer

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:39 am

Any juice sold as "organic" is by law with no chemical preservatives added. It will likely be pasteurized, which will have set pectins, so you'll want to add some pectic enzyme before you pitch yeast to ensure that the result finishes clear. If you can't find (or can't afford the premium for) organic juice, then you can use reconstituted frozen concentrate. Read the label on the container carefully -- some of them (although not many) have preservatives added. But most are preservative-free. They do often add ascorbic acid (vitamin C) as an anti-oxidant to prevent the juice from turning dark brown, but ascorbic acid at those typical doses won't affect the fermentation.
Wayne B.
<<

Vista

Master Brewer

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:43 am

this sounds really good. i think i'd like to try a gallon of this since i have a couple of jugs around. with the spices, do you add them in to the secondary? do you boil up like a cup of water with the spices in them to sanitize? do you put all the ingredients in the jug or do you just put the water that you boiled up with the spices in it? also what would be your honey and apple juice ratio? what would the gallon recipe be in a nutshell? you can leave out the spices since you already went over those.
Take it easy...
<<

wayneb

Master Brewer

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:02 pm

Well, I've found that I get the most consistent results from making a "tea" out of all the spices EXCEPT the juniper, and adding that tea to the primary. Juniper is a special case since those berries (actually they are miniature "cones," seed pods similar to their much larger cousins, pine cones) tend to be resinous. The resins flow more freely when they are heated with boiling water, and that tends to make them more "gummy."

Anyway, take two cups of water heated to boiling in a non-reactive pot (such as stainless steel), throw in the spices, immediately cover the pot, take it off the heat and let the whole thing cool to room temperature. Then add the "tea" to your primary, straining out the bits of spice with a sieve.

My traditional way of doing this one was to use one gallon of apple juice in lieu of one of water, in a 5 gallon batch. I have a variation going right now that uses two gallons of Monrico sweet cherry "cider" (a cherry juice and apple juice blend), and 4 gallons of apple juice, in a total 7 gallon batch (with 21 lbs of honey). I think I like what I'm seeing and tasting so far in this new recipe, but it has only been in secondary for about a month now.
Wayne B.
<<

Vista

Master Brewer

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:41 am

that sounds pretty good. i'm going to make a gallon batch of this over the weekend, hopefully. i'll post the results...not sure where i'll find juniper berries...
Take it easy...

Return to Mead