Chocolate Mead....

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Bografan

Master Brewer

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:37 pm

Chocolate Mead....

...stinks to high heaven!

After getting a nudge (Thanks The4th), I started a 3 gallon batch of some chocolate mead, and lordy is this stuff potent! I used both chocolate powder and melted choc. chips, 10# Tallow honey, nutrients (SNA, aeration schedule for first 48 hours, etc). I've heard this sucker's a minimum 1-year mead, with suggestions of a minimum of 2 years!! Anyone hear of more or less time on something like this?

Oh well, I'll eventually see my three-gallon carboy again...*sniff*

Next I'll be making a 5 gallon `straight' mead that I'll will eventually turn into Tango on your Tongue-- A variant of Schramm's Mambo in your Mouth-- I can't wait!

Off to see the Wizard!
<<

Bografan

Master Brewer

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:26 pm

Just to update the progress: I was concerned about the batch being stuck, and took nearly everyone's advice about possible fixes. Nothing seemed to work. I was considering throwing the batch out, but something made me not do it-- I figured it wouldn't hurt to see where it would end up since it pooped out around 1.080... Well, this morning I yanked it out of the closet after a few months, and it's now @ 1.040!!! MUCH better!!! Considering this monster started @ 1.138, I now have hopes for it again. Tasted the hydrometer sample and it was definately chocolate-tasting rocket fuel. Maybe after a few racks it will start clearing and after a couple of years aging it may take the bite off.

Anyone else doing a chocolate mead?
<<

CelticDragon

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:45 pm

Mmmmm

I have only 2 bottles left of my mexican spiced chocolate mead...that aged for over 2.5 yrs.....and it is mighty tasty. If I was more patient I would have waited longer. It will take a minimum of a year for the foul chocolate bitter and off flavors to start to die down...then about a year and a half poof it is like over night it magic!!!!

The best advice I can give about chocolate mead.....put your airlock on it...put it in the back of the closet, basement, ect forget about it for a year. I will drop clear, it will get less bitter, it will get mellow, it will be fantastic...just takes time.
<<

Bografan

Master Brewer

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:21 am

The best advice I can give about chocolate mead.....put your airlock on it...put it in the back of the closet, basement, ect forget about it for a year. I will drop clear, it will get less bitter, it will get mellow, it will be fantastic...just takes time.

Since it's my first with cocoa powder AND melted chips (actually my first chocolate mead PERIOD) I was worried about the haze and clearing. Very good. At least there's nothing to worry about. :oops:
<<

CelticDragon

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:51 am

Bografan wrote:The best advice I can give about chocolate mead.....put your airlock on it...put it in the back of the closet, basement, ect forget about it for a year. I will drop clear, it will get less bitter, it will get mellow, it will be fantastic...just takes time.

Since it's my first with cocoa powder AND melted chips (actually my first chocolate mead PERIOD) I was worried about the haze and clearing. Very good. At least there's nothing to worry about. :oops:

No worries, I did the same thing on my first chocolate mead....I was about to toss it out about half a dozen times...I had a good friend just keep telling to drink another beer....and put it away.

So....Have another beer, mead, cider...put it away....the beer, mead, cider helps ya forget about that naging in the back of your head that it will not clear or that it is completely ruined.

And in a year or two you will have to let me know how it went and promise you will pass on the wait advise to someone else who is trying there own slice of chocolate heaven.
<<

Steve Fletty

Master Brewer

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:07 am

CleticDragon-

How about a recipe?
<<

CelticDragon

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:00 am

Here is a basic chocolate mead recipe:

12-15 lbs of honey (adjust to your level of sweetness and flavor of honey)
6-8 oz of cocoa powder (use semi sweet, the higher quality cocoa the better the flavor will be, nestle will work just fine!)
1/2 tsp acid blend
your favorite yeast (a decent one that works is D-47)
yeast engergizer
yeast nutrient

You can take a gravity reading... I have had it anywhere from 1.125-1.135

Make must as normal....and add the cocoa with must. Pitch yeast. There will be a lag time with the start of fermentation...this is very normal....you can make a starter to cut this down a bit...but there will always be a lag. Also it will take longer to ferment out out a primary, so if you have the spare, start in a glass carboy it is worth it.

Wait unit it stops in your primary...it will take....1-3 mo. rack. Then wait 6-8 mo. You can take a gravity reading now....it shoud be around 1.000-1.008 I ussaly rack again to start promoting the droping. Let it sit another 6mo- til....the cows come home.....tasting about 3-6 mo past the 1.5 yr mark.

And the longer you let it sit the better it tastes......time is your friend on this one....

There many ways to alter this recipe....and I have one that I pretty much only do now...but...well that is my recipe held mostly on the downlow.
<<

Pat_13

Brewer

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:43 pm

Have you tried dutch cocoa? from cooking it is less acidic and less of a bite, Hershy makes a good one.
<<

CelticDragon

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:59 am

I have not used a dutch cocoa yet, I have used herseys, a Belgum, some generic brand, and right now I mainly use mexican spiced cocoa.
<<

Steve Fletty

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:55 am

Thanks for posting your recipe.
<<

buzzardwhiskey

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:35 am

I've just added 6 Tbsp cocoa powder to a D47-based, SG 1.012, mead that
had already sat for 40 days on oak and 40 days on bananas and dates.

'Shot the clarity all to hell. :D
<<

CelticDragon

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:44 am

LOL,

I have never tired to add cocoa after the fermenation, you will have to let me know how it turns out!!
<<

chapka

Brewer

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:31 pm

Has anyone ever tried using white chocolate? I was thinking of trying my hand at a white chocolate lactomel.
<<

buzzardwhiskey

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:44 pm

My question on the white chocolate idea would be, "What flavor in white
chocolate are you trying for?" White chocolate is just cocoa butter (oil),
vanilla and sugar.
<<

buzzardwhiskey

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:34 pm

I've just sampled my banana-chocolate mead.

It has largely cleared. The banana smell is ripe and huge. Its darker
wildflower honey and dates have created a heady rum-like smell, but no
chocolate is evident in the nose.

The taste is initially sweet but fades quickly. There is a fleeting viscosity.
Neither bananas or chocolate are evident on the tongue. Instead, it tastes
like a drier, more intense and more alcoholic Moniak mead with a mild oak
finish.

I will age it for a few more months and possibly add a couple ounces
of Neilsen Massey's chocolate extract.

Notes: http://www.utahpagans.org/TwoTraditionalMeads.html

Return to Mead