Welcome to Northern Brewer

– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

cherry wine recipe

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

happycamper

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:07 am

cherry wine recipe

I have 10 lbs of cherries from the store and would like to make a batch of wine.Anyone out there have a recipe that I could use,not too complicated.
<<

nicneufeld

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:43 pm

You could always do a simple mead.

Gallon (12lb) of honey, with 4 gallons of apple juice (no preservatives), ferment with D47. Should give you a 1.120 cyser mead (or thereabouts) that is going to be in the 12-15 percent strength range. When transferring to secondary, rack onto the cherries, and let it sit for a while to extract color and flavor. Although, you might do a smaller batch with 10lbs of cherries, depending how intense you want the flavor to be.

Although, google it and you will find a ton of simple cane-sugar based cherry wine recipes. Here's one:

http://scorpius.spaceports.com/~goodwine/cherrywine.htm

Reminds me of a classic Steely Dan song:

Tonight when I chase the dragon
The water will change to cherry wine
And the silver will turn to gold
Time out of mind
"For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie
<<

nbrown

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:21 pm

i have a batch of cherry wine going now. i'm planning on bottling it in a month or two.

here is what i did

-------------------------------------------------------

Makes one gallon -

4-5 lbs sweet, pitted cherries
1.5 lbs white granulated sugar (or until SG is 1.085)
1.5 tsp acid blend powder
1 tsp nutrient powder
.5 tsp pectic enzyme powder
1 campden tablet
enough water to make one gallon
wine yeast suggestion: Lalvin 71B1122

SSG = 1.085 for 11% ABV
Suggested fruit acid = .4% - .7%

Select the best cherries, throw out bad or over ripe fruit. Clean, de-stem and remove pits. Crush cherries andadd to fermentation bag. Crush campden tablet and mix all ingredients EXCEPT yeast in the primary fermenter. Cover. After 24 hours AND when must reaches 70F, add yeast
Ferment 5-7 days or until SG = 1.040. Remove fermentation bag and press lightly. Rack wine into gallon jug. Attach airlock.

Rack after the first week, then one week later and again in two weeks. Rack every two months until the wine is clear and stable and no sediments form on the bottom. When wine is clear and stable, bottle.

Frozen cherries are ideal for winemaking.

Age 6 months or more.

If you want two gallons double the recipe, three gallons tripple ect...
<<

dnb

Master Brewer

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:20 pm

I would take the cherries and pulverize them as best you can but be careful HOW you do it, the tannin is in the skin of the cherry. If you use a processor to do it you probably won't need to add Any tannins or it may even be too much. The tannins leave the "bitter" or "dry" "feel" in your mouth. I pretty much handcrush everything and add tannins when needed.

Anyway you could do about a 3 gallon batch with it, check your hydrometer and shoot for an PA that you want to hit.... I go for about 1.085 to 1.095 usually and add just enough sugar to get it there.

The average amount of "fruit" needed is 3 pounds per gallon and you'll still need to add sugar. Some go all fruit but I've never tried it yet... toooo expensive for a country wine. :lol: I'd like to try doing a Black Sweet Cherry wine. :D
<<

morgan

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:02 am

6 lbs black cherries
3-1/4 lbs sugar
7-1/4 pts water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Wine yeast
Bring water to rolling boil. Destem, wash and crush the cherries in the primary without breaking any stones. Pour the boiling water over the cherries. Cover and set aside for 48 hours. Strain through nylon straining bag. Bring water to a boil and pour over sugar. Stir until dissolved and add remaining ingredients. Cover thoroughly and ferment in warm place for 14 days. Pour into dark secondary and fit airlock. When clear, rack again. After two months, stabilize, sweeten if required, wait 10 days, rack into bottles, and store in dark place

here is link for more detail
<<

Sujains4445

Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:56 am

Re: cherry wine recipe

Ingredients
The best wines are made from scratch. 6 pounds cherries
    1 pound raisins
    5 cups granulated sugar
    2 campden tablets
    1 teaspoon nutrients
    3/4 teaspoon pectic enzyme
    1 large orange (juice only)
    1 package wine yeast
    water
Method 1

Crush cherries. The goal here is the break the skin of every fruit to help the juice leach into the water, but not to damage the stones. Place them in the primary fermentor. Add enough cold water to cover. Stir in crushed campden tablets and pectic enzyme. Let sit for 2 days.

Strain fruit, squeezing out as much juice as possible. Add the balance of the ingredients (except yeast) and make up to 1 gallon with water. Check the specific gravity. It should be between 1.090 and 1.110. Add yeast and mix in well. Cover primary fermentor. Stir daily for three to five days, until frothing ceases.

Put into secondary fermentor and attach airlock. Finish as for dry wine or sweet wine below.

Method 2

Remove pits from the cherries, being careful not to damage the stones. Place fruit in a large saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover. Simmer over low heat (or in a double boiler) for 1 hour. DO NOT let it boil dry.

Strain the pulp out of the juice. Mix the pulp with some hot water and strain it again.

In primary fermentor, combine sugar, orange juice, campden tablets, nutrients and warm juice. Cool to 85'F (30'C). Add pectic enzyme. Let sit overnight.

Add water to make up to one gallon. Add wine yeast. Cover and stir daily for two days. Siphon into secondary fermentor and attach airlock. Finish as for dry wine or sweet wine below.
Finishing

For a dry wine, Rack in three weeks and return to secondary fermentor. Rack again in three months, and every three months until 1 year old. Bottle.

For a sweet wine, rack at three weeks. Add 1/2 cup sugar dissolved in 1 cup wine. Stir gently, and place back into secondary fermentor. Repeat process every six weeks until fermentation does not restart with the addition of sugar. Rack every three months until one year old. Bottle.

This wine is best if you can refrain from drinking it for a year and a half from the date it was started.

Return to Wine Recipe Exchange