– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

How long will a bag of grain stay fresh/usable

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

SA Brew

Master Brewer

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:07 pm

How long will a bag of grain stay fresh/usable

A friend of mine has a whole, unopened bag of Maris Otter that he has not used in over a year. It has been stored in the house at 72-76 degrees. He is ready to compost it because he does not think it will make a fresh tasting beer. Should he throw it out, or will it make an English Pale Ale that will not taste oxidized?
<<

tom sawyer

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:48 am

Re: How long will a bag of grain stay fresh/usable

I asked about this awhile back and was told by numerous people that if its kept dry and sealed it will be good for well over a year. You should taste it, if its crisp then offer to compost for him.
Lennie

Brewing: Lambics (always), dopplebock
<<

PaulHilgeman

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:59 am

It will be perfectly fine. Would you not bake bread with flour that was a year old? I dont think any of us would give it a second thought. Do you know how long it was in the sack before you got it? How long it sat around after it was malted, before it was bagged? How long it sat at the shipyard to be shipped to the US?
<<

SlowBrew

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:21 pm

I have the remains of a bag of Marris Otter and half a bag of pilsner in the basement that are both a year or more old. Made a beer with each about 3 weeks ago and they worked just fine. Tell your friend you'd be happy to dispose of it for him. :mrgreen:

Paul
This would be my signature if I was feeling creative today.
<<

SA Brew

Master Brewer

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks for the info. I have a fresh bag of fresh MO so I don't want it. My friend makes good beer, and I like to drink his beer, so I want him to put it to good use. We both hate oxidized beer though so I wanted some info before he wastes a brew day on it. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the production data on the bag, but we usually get fairly fresh bags from our LHBS.
<<

drf255

Master Brewer

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:29 am

If you have a fresh bag of the malt, why dont you guys try chewing on some side by side? See if there's any off flavors/staleness in the old stuff.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
<<

vs283204

Master Brewer

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:42 pm

The freshness of malt has absolutely nothing to do with oxidation. You're getting your concepts confused. If the malt had gone slack (absorbed too much moisture) then it just wouldn't provide good yield or may be moldy. You'd know if it were a real problem. The type of oxidation that you'll be able to taste all occurs post-mashing.
<<

brewsumore

Master Brewer

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:30 pm

unopened sack of malt stored dry? That will normally be absolutely fine for at least a couple of years.
<<

twoodward15

Master Brewer

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:28 am

Grain gets harvested once a year. If it got harvested and malted in january and you buy it in December,it's already a year old....with an expiration date a year later. taste it. I'll bet it's still good.
"only people from north jersey think that "central jersey" is a real thing"

Return to All Grain Brewing