– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Cereal mash or just boil the grits

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

bo_gator

Master Brewer

Post Sun May 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Cereal mash or just boil the grits

I have always used flaked maize in my CAPs, but I am going to try stone ground corn grits and see if I can tell a difference. I am trying to decide if I should do a cereal mash with the grits, or just boil them for 15 minutes or so before adding to the mash. Any suggestions :?:
Critical thinking is our other national deficit

Usually in error, but always sounding like I know what I am talking about :cheers:
<<

babalu87

Master Brewer

Post Sun May 09, 2010 5:51 pm

Re: Cereal mash or just boil the grits

I think Denny and Majorvices throw them right in the mash.

I bring them to a boil with a gallon of strike water and let them sit for about 15 minutes and then add that to the mash after doughing in.

I brewed a Premium American Lager today and used grits instead of rice.
Wont brew another CAP until I get some 6-row
BIG difference between 2 and 6 row in a CAP
Jeff

On draught:Hallertau Ale, IIPA, Bitter, Stout
Primary: Hefeweizen, Berliner Weisse, Imperial Stout ,Apfelwine
<<

Legman

Site Moderator

Post Sun May 09, 2010 6:32 pm

babalu87 wrote:I think Denny and Majorvices throw them right in the mash.
I think that only works with quick grits.
I recently used regular grits (by mistake) in the mash and my efficiency dropped quite a bit.
Your friendly neighborhood moderator.
<<

babalu87

Master Brewer

Post Sun May 09, 2010 6:39 pm

Legman wrote:
I think that only works with quick grits.
I recently used regular grits (by mistake) in the mash and my efficiency dropped quite a bit.

Yes, Quick Grits for brewing
Grits for eating
Jeff

<<

drf255

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 10, 2010 3:10 am

Bo, use Quick Grits. I've used then around 5 times now and they work great. Just dump them in the mash. They take up less space than grains and absorb less water, so use a little less water, then top off. Cheap as hell too. Around $3 for 5# by me. Much better than $2 per # at my LHBS for flaked maize. I still have a few # of maize sitting around, the grits have become so easy. They also have a nicer sweet flavor than maize.

I've done the regular cornmeal/grit thing. It is definitely alot stickier/gloppy (?word) if you dont cereal mash it. Check out Kai's site for pics of cereal mash vs. straight boiling.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
<<

maltdog

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 10, 2010 8:59 am

IMO, cereal mash is the way to go... my experience is that just preboiling adjuncts is begging for a stuck mash. And yellow grits yield a far more intense sweet/grainy corn flavor than flaked maize.

I've never brewed with instant, so I can't comment on that.
Hop Fever... Catch It !
<<

vanwolfhausen

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 10, 2010 1:11 pm

I bring them to a boil with a gallon of strike water and let them sit for about 15 minutes and then add that to the mash after doughing in.

I really wanna try doing a pilsner with 6row. I always use 2row and never use 6row but, maybe grabbing 10-20lbs of it would be worth it.
Thanks,
VanWolfHausen
"We do not talk about Beerfest outside of Beerfest!"
"I eat Green Berets for breakfast and right now I'm very hungry!!"
<<

babalu87

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 10, 2010 1:21 pm

vanwolfhausen wrote:

I really wanna try doing a pilsner with 6row. I always use 2row and never use 6row but, maybe grabbing 10-20lbs of it would be worth it.

Trust me
It is
Jeff

<<

bo_gator

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 10, 2010 2:48 pm

I have been pouring over my collection of beer/brewing books, and have not found a defining explanation of how/when/why to do a cereal mash. I assume next week or so when I brew my next CAP I will take an average of the mash steps leading up to boiling the grits and boil for the average of the times I have found published.

I am also convinced from what experienced local beer/brewers tell me, 6-row is the only way to go for CAPs or Cream Ales, and most other American Lagers. I recently received a 55lb sack of CMC 6-row Pilsner malt from North Country :mrgreen:

edit: When reading over mashing adjuncts in New Complete Joy of Home Brewing, Charlie P. mentions using corn starch, like the type used in baking for corn/maize in brewing since it can go straight into the mash-tun. Does anyone know what the ratio is between grits/flaked maize and corn starch :?:

I am making a wild guess that the corn starch is a purer form that grits or flaked maize is :mrgreen:

Usually in error, but always sounding like I know what I am talking about :cheers:
<<

TG

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 10, 2010 3:50 pm

maltdog wrote:IMO, cereal mash is the way to go... my experience is that just preboiling adjuncts is begging for a stuck mash. And yellow grits yield a far more intense sweet/grainy corn flavor than flaked maize.

What's your ratio of malt to corn for the cereal mash? 10%?
TIA, Tom
<<

idbrew

Apprentice Brewer

Post Mon May 10, 2010 4:09 pm

bo_gator wrote:I have been pouring over my collection of beer/brewing books, and have not found a defining explanation of how/when/why to do a cereal mash.

IIRC the boiling gelatinizes the starches in raw rice/corn, making them more accessible for conversion. The enzymes from malt start breaking starches down and make the cereal mash less gooey (this makes pumping the cereal mash from a separate cereal cooker into the mash tun easier in large breweries).

I've only ever used raw grain (rice) once. I only boiled the rice (ground) and had a stuck mash :o
I think this might just have been an issue with my manifold slots being too wide, and dumping the sticky rice slurry in before the malt. The beer ultimately turned out fine, perfectly clear and good efficiency!

I bet you can safely skip adding malt and doing a saccharification rest, but I'm going to give it a shot next time I think.
<<

tom sawyer

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 10, 2010 5:03 pm

Corn starch is going to be like using sugar. It won't contribute any flavor. I'd boil the grits and throw them in the mash once they're gelatinized.

I just tapped a keg of CAP I made with flaked maize, its pretty good stuff.
Lennie

Brewing: Lambics (always), dopplebock
<<

sl8w

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 10, 2010 5:18 pm

According to this thread, neither boiling nor cereal mash is necessary for (regular) polenta/corn grits: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79214. In reliance on that thread, I put some directly in the mash for my last Dark American Lager. I hit/exceeded my expected OG, with full conversion.
<<

maltdog

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 10, 2010 5:30 pm

TG wrote:
maltdog wrote:IMO, cereal mash is the way to go... my experience is that just preboiling adjuncts is begging for a stuck mash. And yellow grits yield a far more intense sweet/grainy corn flavor than flaked maize.

What's your ratio of malt to corn for the cereal mash? 10%?
TIA, Tom
I've settled on around 10-12%. More is just too much corn flavor for me- that's using yellow grits from the "organic" store. But I wouldnt have an issue with up to 20% flaked, it's mellower.
Hop Fever... Catch It !
<<

bo_gator

Master Brewer

Post Mon May 10, 2010 6:18 pm

sl8w wrote:According to this thread, neither boiling nor cereal mash is necessary for (regular) polenta/corn grits: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79214. In reliance on that thread, I put some directly in the mash for my last Dark American Lager. I hit/exceeded my expected OG, with full conversion.

After reading that thread I wonder what amounts they are talking about using :?: The OP was asking about 1/2 pound in 5 gallons, but I am more in line with 5lbs of grits in a 12 gallon batch, so I wonder if that would affect it :?:

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing