– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Dunkelweizen NB Kit Decoction or not

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

hamiltont

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:02 am

Re: Dunkelweizen NB Kit Decoction or not

What blatz said... I use a strainer (the kind you use in the kitchen that has a handle) to gather the grains. Then add enough wort/liquid to the pot to make it the consistency of oatmeal. You can add more wort if it gets too thick. If it does get too thick it will burn. Not a good thing so make sure you have enough liquid & stir constantly. :cheers:
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!
<<

jezmez68

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:48 pm

I have only performed one triple-decoction on the Farley's Svelte Pivo (ingredients bumped up for same OG and IBU at 6 gallons). To get the thick mash, I used a 2-quart pan and eyeballed it. It was close enough for rock and roll. Mash tun temps were spot on for each step. I did a side-by-side with Pilsner Urquell after the beer was in the bottle for 2 weeks - they looked the same, although the head retention wasn't too happening yet on mine. Going on 5 weeks in the bottle (4 of those in the fridge @ 40*F). I figure, like all of my beers, it will start being really good in another 3 weeks.
_____
Drinkin' all the beer in your fridge since 1983.
<<

tom sawyer

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:31 pm

I just use a ladle and pull out a scoop then let it drain off the sides. I don't think you want it devoid of liquid, just comparatively more grist than wort.
Lennie

Brewing: Lambics (always), dopplebock
<<

majorvices

Master Brewer

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:02 pm

blatz wrote:here comes the debate... :mrgreen:

if you're an experienced brewer and want to see what decoction is like, try this:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... _Decoction

if you've not made too many batches, I would probably skip that until you have a solid handle on the AG process.

Whether or not a decoction is advisable or not is a purely subjective opinion up to the brewer since this is a polarising topic as to whether the effort is manifest in the final product.

+1. I personally think decoction makes a difference. Some brewers (whom I respect very much, though disagree with) think it makes no difference. At the very least I get a huge increase in efficiency plus a deeper hue of color. Try it for yourself and find out. And, personally, this is the perfect beer style to try it on! BUT - be sure you have a good handle on AG first. A single infusion Wheat beer can be very, very good. And a lot less sticky. :wink:

BTW I suggest at least 2 decoctions and 20-30 minutes boil time. Prepare for a long brewday. :)
- Keith Y.
-------------------------
Ein Prosit, der gemutlichkeit!
<<

babalu87

Master Brewer

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:56 am

majorvices wrote:BTW I suggest at least 2 decoctions and 20-30 minutes boil time. Prepare for a long brewday. :)

Gonna have one tomorrow

Time for one more Dunkelweizen before Hefeweizen season hits :cheers:
My keg isnt quite dry but the one I dropped off at my buddys bar died at the brewclub meeting Tuesday :cry:
Jeff

On draught:Hallertau Ale, IIPA, Bitter, Stout
Primary: Hefeweizen, Berliner Weisse, Imperial Stout ,Apfelwine
<<

geocool

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:06 pm

I'm planning to try this this weekend for a Dunkelweizen. I'm planning to mash in at 142F, then use a decoction to get to 158F. Do I really need that second decoction to get to mashout temps, or can I skip it and just start batch sparging after the 158F step is done? Also, are you all cool with skipping the protein rest? I'm using Weyermann's Dark Wheat malt and Dark Munich malt, in addition to some Pilsner, CaraMunich, and Carafa.
<<

hamiltont

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:16 pm

You're fine with one decoction, or none, or 2, or 3. It's really up to you. Regardless, you'll make good beer if everything else is right with the world. Same for the protein rest. Cheers!!! :cheers:
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!
Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing