Protein rest or not protein rest

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

PalCabral

Master Brewer

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:34 am

Protein rest or not protein rest

Hi brewers.

I was wondering how my fellow homebrewers consider the need for protein rest? I typically employ a mash schedule with an acid rest at 40C/105F for 15 minutes, a protein rest at 50C/122F for 20 20 minutes and then saccarification rests at 65C/149C and 71C/160F for different lengths. I usually only make an acid rest if I'm breweing with light malts, with roasted malts I rarely bother and mash in at protein rest temps.

But I've read and been told that with the malts today are so well modified that they don't need protein rests, in fact that the beer may become unstable if you do. I am mainly using Weyermann malts and brittish Maris Otter from Fawcett's, who both have well modified malts, but I assume it is the same with US maltsers?

Are there a lot of homebrewers out there that still employ a protein rest, or are most brewers just skipping this step?

And what does it mean when a beer has stabiliy problems?
In primary: Enskede Biére de Mars
In secondary: Enskede Blonde
<<

The Professor

Master Brewer

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:33 am

Re: Protein rest or not protein rest

A protein rest is a totally unnecessary exercise. I've never done one with any malt I've used over the years, and have never had haze problems that didn't settle out with proper aging, and always good stability.
"How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?"
<<

The Professor

Master Brewer

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:33 am

deleted duplicate post
(sorry 'bout that!)
Last edited by The Professor on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
"How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?"
<<

dmtaylo2

Master Brewer

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:38 am

Skip the protein rest. If used with today's well modified malts, it can actually make your beer WORSE -- thin body, no head -- no thanks.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
<<

drf255

Master Brewer

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:55 am

I only do one if I'm using alot of adjuncts that contain protein, like flaked barley. 99% of the time, I do not.

If I do one, I do it at 132* which is theoretically supposed to not affect the peptide lengths associated with head retention.

I would say it's pretty much not necessary and as Dave said, it may actually worsen yoru beer.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
<<

NE-Brewer

Brewer

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:28 pm

Is a rest at 111*F (?) also not necessary when using a lot of "wheat" such as in a HefeWeizen?

I thought I read that I should do one but that may have been "Old" information also?

Roger
In Keg 1: AG Moose Drool
In Keg 2: AG DunkelWeizen
In Keg 3: AG Amber-Malty-Simple
In Keg 4: AG Jamil's So. English
In Keg 5: AG Scottish Schilling-60
In Keg 6: AG Honey Blonde
Bottled AG Oatmeal Stout
<<

alanzo

Master Brewer

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:55 pm

What does it mean that the malt is modified? Do you mean GMOs?
"In Italy, they eat Italian food. In America, we eat any kind of food we want!" -- Fritz Maytag

http://www.youtube.com/alanmarcero

<<

Narvin

Master Brewer

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:23 pm

alanzo wrote:What does it mean that the malt is modified? Do you mean GMOs?

Nope.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12.html
<<

PaulK

Master Brewer

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:45 pm

NE-Brewer wrote:Is a rest at 111*F (?) also not necessary when using a lot of "wheat" such as in a HefeWeizen?

I thought I read that I should do one but that may have been "Old" information also?

That's different altogether. That's a ferulic acid rest to develop pre-cursors to clove flavors in a hefeweizen.
<<

Denny

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:08 am

NE-Brewer wrote:Is a rest at 111*F (?) also not necessary when using a lot of "wheat" such as in a HefeWeizen?

IMO, no, it's not necessary.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is.

www.dennybrew.com
<<

pjj2ba

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:38 pm

I often use a protein rest, anywhere from 5 to 20 min. depending on the style. I find I get better foam, and more importantly, better body by doing this. I will admit the difference is not huge, but it is there and I like it, so I continue with it. It is also very easy for me to do step mashes with my set up.

There is a danger if you go too long with today's malts. However it is not black and white. Just because a LONG protein rest is detrimental, that doesn't mean a short one also is bad.

Not neccessary, I agree, but that doesn't mean one should never do one of any kind
<<

PaulK

Master Brewer

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:45 pm

Denny wrote:

I thought you were a hefeweizen hater?
<<

Steverino

Brewer

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:09 pm

pjj2ba wrote:I often use a protein rest, anywhere from 5 to 20 min. depending on the style. I find I get better foam, and more importantly, better body by doing this. I will admit the difference is not huge, but it is there and I like it, so I continue with it. It is also very easy for me to do step mashes with my set up.

There is a danger if you go too long with today's malts. However it is not black and white. Just because a LONG protein rest is detrimental, that doesn't mean a short one also is bad.

Not neccessary, I agree, but that doesn't mean one should never do one of any kind

I agree. I often do a 20-minute rest at 122 degrees. I put it under the heading of good practices.
"Beer makes you feel the way you should feel without beer."
<<

SA Brew

Master Brewer

Post Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:10 pm

I don't with English or pale ale malts. I do a short rest at 130 for 10-20 min when I use pils/munich malt. I have a great Belgian pale ale that I used a step mash, and it has great head retention for a 1.047 beer. It looks creamy like Guinness on nitro when I pour a pint. I love the Antwerp yeast! I wish it was a year round strain.
<<

Denny

Master Brewer

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:30 pm

PaulK wrote:
Denny wrote:

I thought you were a hefeweizen hater?

Yeah, but that doesn't mean I haven't brewed a few.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is.

www.dennybrew.com
Next

Return to All Grain Brewing