– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

which grain mill?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

vpsihop1

Master Brewer

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:34 pm

which grain mill?

thinking about buying one or asking SWMBO for one. what do you guys like and why???
Austria.

AUSTRIA!! well then, G'DAY MATE!!
<<

MullerBrau

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:36 am

Re: which grain mill?

Here we go again ......
get the JSP Maltmill. It is twice the mill as the Barley Crusher. Come over and see mine in action and you'll agree.
<<

yugamrap

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:26 am

Here's a link to a lengthy thread about mills viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75128 Greg is right - his JSP is (literally) twice the mill as my Barley Crusher - the rollers are twice as long. That's a real plus if you're doing 20-gallon batches with big grain bills like he does, or if you're brewing really often. I brew 5- and 10-gallon batches and brew about every 3-4 weeks, and hand-cranking my BC works fine for me. As well, the BC is an adjustable mill (not necessary, but nice) and is ready-to-go right out of the box.
...it's liquid bread - it's good for you!

www.beersnobs.org
<<

HD4Mark

Site Moderator

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:29 am

Ten plus years on my JSP but you will find brewers that swear their brand of crusher. Do a search at the top of the page and you will be busy for hours reading about what grain mill to buy. Happy shopping!
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
Ernest Hemingway
<<

vpsihop1

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:30 am

ok thanks guys, i c there are fixed and different types of adjustable rollers. need to start reading up.
Austria.

AUSTRIA!! well then, G'DAY MATE!!
<<

Not the Momma!

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:54 am

I have a single sided one and love it... Although I have to replace the sides on it, to my own fault I let the humidity get to it and the thin wood sides bowed out a bit..

The JSP is a phenomenal mill and Jack (the owner and creator) has got to be the best at customer service ever! I mean we must have exchanged over 20 e-mails to make sure that we nailed down when my adjustment screw fell out and was lost... I can honestly say that you will never be let down with the JSP.
ON TAP:
Kolsch
BVIP
Avery Maharaja Clone
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing

Coming up: Stout, Evil Twin, Scotch Ale.

Check out my http://bowtiebrewing.blogspot.com/
<<

hirschy

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:17 am

I like my Corona!
:cheers:

(running under the desk to avoid the flames)
<<

Pawtucket Patriot

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:39 am

MullerBrau wrote:Here we go again ......
get the JSP Maltmill. It is twice the mill as the Barley Crusher. Come over and see mine in action and you'll agree.

+1

I love my JSP. At some point, I would love to motorize it and build a hopper. I'm very envious of your setup, Greg!
<<

Not the Momma!

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:59 am

I too would love to motorize... however I just don't feel that I can do it... Too much math... Need someone else to do it for me lol...
ON TAP:
Kolsch
BVIP
Avery Maharaja Clone
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing

Coming up: Stout, Evil Twin, Scotch Ale.

Check out my http://bowtiebrewing.blogspot.com/
<<

roffenburger

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:03 am

Do any of you own a JSP and a Barley Crusher (or other multiple mills)? I think people tend to be partial to the equipment they own. I'm sure some of the seasoned brewers have had multiple mills. Its kinda like your first car. I like Ford mainly because it was my first pick-up. :cheers:
<<

MullerBrau

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:27 pm

roffenburger wrote:Do any of you own a JSP and a Barley Crusher (or other multiple mills)? I think people tend to be partial to the equipment they own. I'm sure some of the seasoned brewers have had multiple mills. Its kinda like your first car. I like Ford mainly because it was my first pick-up. :cheers:
I own a JSP and 3 guys that I brew often with all have the BC. Both make beer in the end but they go through all kinds of problems trying to:

1. Get the grains to go through the rollers
2. Keep the grains from bypassing and leaking around the hopper.
3. Get large grain bills finished in a reasonable amount of time.

My mill is non-adjustable and I don't ever see a need to adjust it. It's also built very well.
<<

PaulK

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:05 pm

The JSP is indeed a good mill and the rollers are longer than most other homebrew mills, but the grain hopper directs the malt to the center 3-4 inches which do the bulk of the grinding. The longer rollers never really play into it be "better" in any way. I have an Automatic mill from when they were still in the homebrewing game. It's as good as the rest out there. They all pretty much crush the same.
<<

Geoff Henderson

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:15 pm

I have a Corona and a Barley Crusher and like the Barley Crusher because it fits on a bucket and traps most of the grain/dust. I had the Corona rigged up with a bag that fed into a bucket. I get the same efficacy out of both. I use a Speedster controller to torque my drill down and can crush 30 lbs in less than 5 minutes on both (I use a big funnel for the Corona hopper). The Barley Crusher is just more convenient to operate!
Geoff
<<

blatz

Master Brewer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:17 pm

Geoff Henderson wrote:I use a Speedster controller to torque my drill down

what's that?
<<

spcurtis

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:19 pm

I too have been looking for a mill, and have a general question - when would you want an adjustable gap setting? It seems like once you have a gap setting to where you want it, you would not change it... Any insights on this?

-Scott
Next

Return to All Grain Brewing