– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

Bulk Grain orders in South Jersey?

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

vanwolfhausen

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:00 pm

Bulk Grain orders in South Jersey?

Do any of you guys ever do bulk grain orders? If so when and how many sacks do you need to get bulk pricing?
Thanks,
VanWolfHausen
"We do not talk about Beerfest outside of Beerfest!"
"I eat Green Berets for breakfast and right now I'm very hungry!!"
<<

tom_r2

Brewer

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: Bulk Grain orders in South Jersey?

I've ordered one bag at a time (50 lbs). NB as well as a couple other sites have great prices on bulk bags, but no one that I know of gives great discounts on shipping. The alternative is to order multiple all-grain kits at once, as many places have discounted shipping. For instance, I can order enough individual kits from NB to be close in weight to the 50# bag, yet still only pay $7.99 shipping. If I order a 50# bag, I get it, but at regular shipping costs. The kits are really convenient since they come with the right amount of grain, and the hops included. Of course, you could order several additional pounds of grain for your own creations, all within the $7.99 for the entire order (except for their items clearly marked not to qualify).

Shop around and compare, then make your decision.
-Tom
Life begins at 50 . . . . Actually, 1.050
<<

vanwolfhausen

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Not really a kit guy. I like making my own recipes. Plus a 55lb bag delivered is usually $65. That would technically only guy you 2-3kits.
Thanks,
VanWolfHausen
<<

markusg

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:47 pm

tom_r2 wrote:I've ordered one bag at a time (50 lbs). NB as well as a couple other sites have great prices on bulk bags, but no one that I know of gives great discounts on shipping. The alternative is to order multiple all-grain kits at once, as many places have discounted shipping. For instance, I can order enough individual kits from NB to be close in weight to the 50# bag, yet still only pay $7.99 shipping. If I order a 50# bag, I get it, but at regular shipping costs. The kits are really convenient since they come with the right amount of grain, and the hops included. Of course, you could order several additional pounds of grain for your own creations, all within the $7.99 for the entire order (except for their items clearly marked not to qualify).

Shop around and compare, then make your decision.
-Tom

What I noticed, at least to my zip code, is the per pound (which is similar to the kit price I believe) is essentially the same as the bag price +shipping so if I were to buy 50# by the pound it would be the same price as the bag+ shipping +$7.99 flat rate shipping. I wonder if I am the only one that works out that way for? I assume if your near MN then it would be cheaper.
I only did the math on 3 grains so it could be off on others.

so for marris otter 55# sack 74.99+32.74= 107.73 so per pound $1.96 vs. the $2 by the pound price.
<<

aluminumpark

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:09 pm

you might want to call beercrafters in turnersville and see what kind of price they will give you for a 55lb bag. Theres also one called home sweet homebrew in philly. Last time i went to beercrafters the prices were a little more than i could deal with ($3/lb for base malt, $5/lb for specialty malts, $20 for 3 lbs of DME comahhhhhn!)
it's 6 am and already the boy ain't right
<<

SkiWithG

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:56 pm

I've been to all of them. I love HomeSweetHomebrew, but driving into Philly and parking is a pain in the butt. I agree that Breercrafters is way overpriced. I now go to Princeton Homebrew in Trenton. Good selection & fair prices. I've bought 3 sacks for grain from PHB, prices run from about $60 to $70 per sack. Probably about the same as a single sack shipped from Northcountry Malt but this way I'm supporting a local, small business.

From what I hear, the best deal is to get a pallet (or partial) shipped to a loading dock from Northcountry. If you have access to a loading dock and want to take on the organization, I'd be in for 2 sacks plus smaller quantities of specialty malts. I seem to remember someone in NJ contemplating a group grain buy, But I guess nothing ever came of it and I can't find the post.

Cheers,
Glenn
<<

devils4ever

Master Brewer

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:25 pm

I've been ordering my bulk grains from North Country Malt Supply in upstate NY. They sell bags of MO for around $40 with about $15-$20 to ship to NJ. It comes out to a little over $1/lb.
"Hush little brewski don't you leak, daddy wants to drink for at least a week." -- Bender

"Actually, Dwight, you're right. Alcohol is very very bad...for children. But once you turn 21, it becomes very very good! So scram!" -- Leela
<<

vanwolfhausen

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:22 am

aluminumpark wrote:you might want to call beercrafters in turnersville and see what kind of price they will give you for a 55lb bag. Theres also one called home sweet homebrew in philly. Last time i went to beercrafters the prices were a little more than i could deal with ($3/lb for base malt, $5/lb for specialty malts, $20 for 3 lbs of DME comahhhhhn!)

It was $85 a sack of 2row last time I checked. There is good place in Delaware and place in Northeast PA I have been going to. Maybe I will check with them. I have no loading dock that I could use for big order.
Thanks,
VanWolfHausen
<<

pahiker6

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:32 am

If you're not opposed to coming into Philly, you can try Barry's Homebrew. He charges $60 a sack for grain. Parking isn't much of an issue at his shop.

http://www.barryshomebrew.com/prices.htm
<<

aschribe

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:18 am

I agree Barry's homebrew has good prices on grain (and very good prices on white labs yeast, too) but the grain selection is only fair so you'd do well to call in advance.
<<

vanwolfhausen

Master Brewer

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Until I find a few guys to grab 40 sacks think I am ordering one at a time. :D Plus you need a loading dock or you pay $75 extra which isn't bad. I also think it has to go to a business location too. By the way I still use LHBS for everything else but, when sacks are $30-40 more than I can get online without driving there it's a lot easier on me.
Thanks,
VanWolfHausen
<<

twoodward15

Master Brewer

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:17 pm

I'm going to place an order at my spot around the end of summer. I'll let you know when I do. last time it was 44 for 2 row and 61 for maris otter.
"only people from north jersey think that "central jersey" is a real thing"
<<

vanwolfhausen

Master Brewer

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:33 am

twoodward15 wrote:I'm going to place an order at my spot around the end of summer. I'll let you know when I do. last time it was 44 for 2 row and 61 for maris otter.

Sounds like a plan!
Thanks,
VanWolfHausen

Return to All Grain Brewing