– "Brew, Share, Enjoy."

5.2 Stabilizer with other Salts

Moderator: Global Moderators

<<

Jims

Master Brewer

Post Thu May 07, 2009 1:50 pm

5.2 Stabilizer with other Salts

Does anyone use the 5.2 to lock in there PH and then use other salts to adjust water for "flavor" or other reasons (e.g. add 5.2 then throw in some gypsum to get calcium to 50PPM for yeast health regardless of the effect on residual alkalinity).

I have the 5.2 but never really use it since I lose control over the other aspects of my water. Never really considered using them in tandem before.
<<

Beertracker

Master Brewer

Post Thu May 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: 5.2 Stabilizer with other Salts

I do it all the time, as it gives a brewer a good starting reference point. It's great to use a tbs. or two in the boil as well.

:cheers:
PROST! Beertracker
"It takes a beer to make thirst worthwhile." ~ Old German Proverb
<<

bsfixit

Master Brewer

Post Sat May 09, 2009 3:40 pm

I have soft water.. I use 5.2 all the time and usually throw in burton water salts and/or a bit a gypsum..
Building a BCS-460 based brewery
Need to brew soon
My Photos, lightning & nature.
My Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/bsfixit101
<<

Louie

Master Brewer

Post Fri May 15, 2009 9:28 pm

My opinion, based on what I've observed in my beers, is that if you're already adjusting your water specifically to the style you're brewing, 5.2 is unnecessary. In fact, in my beers, it seemed to lend a minerally sharpness that I didn't care for. Once I stopped the 5.2, it went away, and my beers improved (or at least my enjoyment of my beers improved). YMMV.
Fermenting: Patersbier, Octoberfest
Kegged/Serving: Helles, Dead Ringer, Dry Stout
On Deck: Waldo Lake Amber, lots more Helles
<<

Brew.Drink.Repeat.

Master Brewer

Post Sun May 24, 2009 8:21 am

After John Palmer's talk on residual alkalinity at the NHC in Cincinnati someone asked him this exact question, and his response was essentially not to add 5.2 on top of the other adjustments. If you know what your water is (and don't trust your local municipal report, send a sample to Ward Labs so you know what's coming out of your pipes), and have adjusted your water properly for mineral content and residual alkalinity then 5.2 shouldn't be necessary.
Brian Pylant

It's pronounced ass-ih-tal-duh-hide.
When in doubt, think of your old hippie friend Acid Al.
<<

blatz

Master Brewer

Post Sun May 24, 2009 10:19 am

Brew.Drink.Repeat. wrote:After John Palmer's talk on residual alkalinity at the NHC in Cincinnati someone asked him this exact question, and his response was essentially not to add 5.2 on top of the other adjustments. If you know what your water is (and don't trust your local municipal report, send a sample to Ward Labs so you know what's coming out of your pipes), and have adjusted your water properly for mineral content and residual alkalinity then 5.2 shouldn't be necessary.

big +1.
<<

DCBC

Master Brewer

Post Tue May 26, 2009 10:01 am

I will be switching to water adjustments over Buffer 5.2 on my next batch. I've read my water report, talked to the guy you talk to at the water department to get some more specific info, and, finally, shot a sample to Ward Labs for analysis. For those of you who send your water to Ward Labs, how often do you do this. My water guy and I talked about, for example, Sulfate levels being higher in December than in May in 2008. So while my water report gives me an average, Ward's analysis will give me a snapshot for this month.

I'm really just curious how things may have varied from last year, but for those of you who really want exacting figures, how often are you having your water anylized?
I've consumed all of my homebrew and I still can't relax. Now what?
<<

markusg

Master Brewer

Post Tue May 26, 2009 10:16 am

DCBC wrote: My water guy and I talked about, for example, Sulfate levels being higher in December than in May in 2008. So while my water report gives me an average, Ward's analysis will give me a snapshot for this month.

I'm really just curious how things may have varied from last year, but for those of you who really want exacting figures, how often are you having your water anylized?

I think it is going to depend on your water source. For me I decided not to even bother. I used to have extremely hard, and alkaline water that was very stable. Now they added 2 other sources to the water supply that are very soft and one is then treated with lime (so the supply is different then their report). The composition changes daily pretty much. I just use a 5 in one test strip to give me an idea of where it is on any given brew day. If I am doing something that I am trying to match a certain profile I just start with R.O.
<<

Not the Momma!

Master Brewer

Post Tue May 26, 2009 10:29 am

I am going to try using 5.2 Buffer in my next batch to see if my Efficiency takes a jump... I have all the other area's nailed down so I will have to see what happens.

Then if I get a jump I will pitch in for a water report. Then go from there.
ON TAP:
Kolsch
BVIP
Avery Maharaja Clone
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing

Coming up: Stout, Evil Twin, Scotch Ale.

Check out my http://bowtiebrewing.blogspot.com/
<<

Denny

Master Brewer

Post Tue May 26, 2009 11:39 am

Not the Momma! wrote:I am going to try using 5.2 Buffer in my next batch to see if my Efficiency takes a jump... I have all the other area's nailed down so I will have to see what happens.

Then if I get a jump I will pitch in for a water report. Then go from there.

My efficiency actually went down on several batches I used it for!
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is.

www.dennybrew.com
<<

Not the Momma!

Master Brewer

Post Tue May 26, 2009 11:56 am

Thats really odd. It claims that it will have no negative effect on the beer... Very interesting.
ON TAP:
Kolsch
BVIP
Avery Maharaja Clone
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing

Coming up: Stout, Evil Twin, Scotch Ale.

Check out my http://bowtiebrewing.blogspot.com/
<<

Jims

Master Brewer

Post Wed May 27, 2009 7:01 pm

Denny wrote:]

My efficiency actually went down on several batches I used it for!

I also get better efficiency when I take the long road to adjust my water. The last batch I did with the 5.2 was about 78% efficiency and my norm lately has been about 84% when going through my normal regime.

Return to All Grain Brewing